Coast Guard to hospitals on LI

Status
Not open for further replies.

moustache

If the coast guard picks someone up and they need immediate medical attention, will the coast guard fly them to the hospital, and if so what frequency would they use to talk to the hospital, would it be the same one as what the Suffolk PD helicopters use to talk to Stony Brook University Hospital? I am also curious as to what happens when/if military helicopters would land at SBU Hospital.

ecps92

USCG Helos from Air Station Cape Cod have only been heard on 155.2800 Mhz
and lately seem to use VHF Marine [back to Sector] or a Sat-Phone to contact the
Hospital facility. It's amazing to see them practice [Sundays lately] the Touch-n-Go on the roof of Mass General Hospital [Boston]

moustache said:
If the coast guard picks someone up and they need immediate medical attention, will the coast guard fly them to the hospital, and if so what frequency would they use to talk to the hospital, would it be the same one as what the Suffolk PD helicopters use to talk to Stony Brook University Hospital? I am also curious as to what happens when/if military helicopters would land at SBU Hospital.

IW_RADIO

moustache said:
Normally, USCG helos will transport to a designated landing zone where the local fire / ambulance district will transport to the local hospital. This occurs frequently especially during the summer months.

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
I spent 8 years in the USCG and have never seen a Helo fly directly to a hospital. I think only certain ships are allowed to land at hospital's facilities.

On every medevac I have ever seen the ship will land either at their Air Station, or another airport and the local EMS crew will meet them.

Status
Not open for further replies.