Coastal Santa Barbara CHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoiM

Can anyone tell me what CHP frequencies I can input on my scanner where I can listen to CHP, I am in Santa Barbara, I put 3 frequencies into my scanner but I am not hearing anything. Thanks in advance.

460.45000 M609 NACUHF1 DIRECTUHF 1 - Ventura / Santa Barbara Offices - Car to Car P25 Law Tac
42.54000 KMB524 B167.9 PLGRN COA BGreen - Base - Santa Barbara (29) FM Law Dispatch
42.24000 KA4993 M167.9 PLGRN COA MGreen - Mobile - Santa Barbara (29) FM Law Dispatch

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
What are you using for an antenna? Is your location up high, or down by the beach? You need an antenna designed to do the job, and in theory, your antenna should be able to "see" the antenna you're trying to listen to. Do a search on this site and you'll find a lot of threads regarding receiving CHP.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
You should be listening to Green base (42.54). You'll hear mobiles repeated on it. Callsign is "Ventura" for the Ventura Communications Center.

You can also listen to Buellton units on White (covers to Paradise Road) on 42.56.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The Ventura Comm Center sometimes simulcasts on the Purple and the Green. You will hear calls for "31" units (Ventura) and "29" units (Santa Barbara). They will always identify as "Ventura." The transmitters are located on La Vigia Hill (the Mesa) KMB524 and Santa Ynez Peak KMK259. There is also KDK709 which is the Santa Barbara office (rarely heard).

Also on SY Peak is the White channel 42.56. Also KMK259. They are dispatched from San Luis Obispo. Units are "3" Buellton, "14" Santa Maria, "28" San Luis Obispo and "9" Templeton. Buellton covers the Santa Ynez Valley and Lompoc. Although SY Peak can operate in the repeater mode on the White, it usually does not. Obviously San Luis has several other sites due to its large area.

I have rarely heard traffic on 460.450MHz.

MoiM

What are you using for an antenna? Is your location up high, or down by the beach? You need an antenna designed to do the job, and in theory, your antenna should be able to "see" the antenna you're trying to listen to. Do a search on this site and you'll find a lot of threads regarding receiving CHP.

Thank you... I have a Whistler TRX-2 I am just using the telescoping antenna that the unit came with. I am down by the beach.

KF6DGN

Try 460.45000, FMN, not much traffic but you should hear an I.D. every hour, at least I do as I monitor Border CHP FMN
460.45000 RM127.3 PLUHF1 COA ANA UHF 1 - Analog FMN Law

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Thank you... I have a Whistler TRX-2 I am just using the telescoping antenna that the unit came with. I am down by the beach.
Heads up, my Whistler 1098 is deaf deaf deaf maddening deaf on low band and CHP. I pop a BCT-15X on the same antenna and it sings. I run both side by side on a stridesburg while mobile to troubleshoot and one sings and one is deaf. I throw a BCT-125 handheld on the dash with a rubber duck and drive around and CHP is non-stop on a rubber duck inside while the Whistler doesn't whistle a sound with a properly drilled NMO antenna. But, and this is more maddening, it works on a few CHP freqs moderately well. So it teases me to no end.

I'd tell you how I really feel about my Whistler, but it's the only remote-head radio out there at the moment and I need that. I've accepted defeat (which is rare for me) and when needing CHP on long road trips, I resort to a hacked up 15X ugly install under the seat and wires everywhere which makes the wife and kids happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.