Coax and rotator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I'm in the process of installing a W6LVP loop. The loop will be installed on a rotator. Since the coax will also turn with the antenna, is there a way to minimise the chance of the connection getting lose and preventing the coax from breaking due to the rotation of the antenna ?

Many thanks
VA2FCS

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The rotors usually won't turn much beyond 360º, if at all. So rotating around more than one turn won't be possible.
Using a flexible coaxial cable with some slack to allow the movement is sufficient. Secure the coax to your support near the rotator, and above the rotator. As always, torque the connectors to manufacturers spec. Then properly weather seal all outdoor connections.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, the antenna uses a BNC connector so there isn't much to be done as far as torque is concerned. I was thinking of using a pigtail of thinner coax on the antenna side

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the info, the antenna uses a BNC connector so there isn't much to be done as far as torque is concerned. I was thinking of using a pigtail of thinner coax on the antenna side

That would be fine if you are using a really heavy coax, like LMR-400 or larger. But if you are using RG-8, RG-6, etc. it's probably not necessary. But, sure, a highly flexible cable like LMR-200uf would be a good option. Small, flexible, low loss.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Here is my plan,

From antenna to CMC-130S-3K i would use about 8 feet of LMR-200UF, 8 feet would allow for some slack

From CMC-130S-3K to Polyphaser (located outside the house at entry point) i would use about 15 feet of LMR-400

From Polyphaser to radio i would use about 27 feet of LMR-400

Status
Not open for further replies.