• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Coax cable into the shack ?

k8niv

How or what would be the best way to bring the coax into the shack ?

Little info on what I have to work around .....

Ok, our service line to the house is on a pole just out side the window about 50ft away or so, and the breaker box is also in the same room the shack is.......and at the present my coax cable is coming through a window that slides side to side, instead of up and down, and about 4-5ft up off the floor.....the wall under the window has 2 outlets n it and that's it......

I have 2 of those EFHW 8010 antennas up, one is out back and the coax at the present comes down through the yard and under the walk way, and on to the window on the side of the house, and the other one is out front of the house, and that coax runs up to the window of the shack....

Also, going to change out the way I have my ground system too, will have a short run to the ground rod..
Can't come through the basement.....

So, how would u all recommend bringing the coax into the shack ?

Would it be ok to run the ground wire through with the coax cables ?

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
I have a window that slides side-to-side as well. I put a 2x4 in the window with 3" SO-239 barrel connectors mounted in it and an all-thread with wingnuts for the ground. The rest of the 2x4 I cut to block the window in-place so it can't be opened.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You can also purchase PVC board from your local home center (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) which won't rot. Drill out for the barrel connectors and you're good. Here is a video I recently saw where a guy made this, including ground, probably better than I would have thought to do:

k8niv

I ended up drilling a hole through the floor and brought my coax in the shack, at the present just have 2 coaxes coming n and a ground wire going out to the ground rod....got by with about 5ft of copper ground wire going out to the ground system, from the busbar on the back of the desk..

k8niv

Coax into the shack, I came up through the floor with it, have a buss bar on the back of my desk, and my stuff grounded to it, came off the buss bar with a 6ga solid copper wire, ran it out the hole in the floor out to my ground rod, which is 7.5ft in the ground, and also ran a ground wire off it over to the ground rod my breaker box is on, this is all less than 15ft of wire .......also using 2 lightning arrestors, bought all the stuff needed for this, not cheap, but it is all grounded, ect now.....no RFI in the shack anymore..........even shortened up the coax runs to my 8010's I use...

Last edited: