Status
Not open for further replies.

mpddigital

With thousands of cables made we constantly get questions about connectors. I put together this page to post pictures of the most common coaxial cable connectors used for Ham, CB, Scanners and other RF use.

Coax Connector Pictures

If you want it expanded with other connector photos let me know and I'll add them. Hope it helps.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I notice that the BNC shown on the LMR-240 is actually a 75-ohm version (no dielectric). Might be worth posting photos of both variations for a visual reference.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That's one really nice thing about BNC, they mate easily (and more importantly, non-destructively) no matter which impedance you're dealing with.

mpddigital

No problem! If it saves one or two folks from ordering coax cable assemblies with the wrong connectors it will be worth it!

The biggest confusion remains Reverse Polarity connectors. As a rule of thumb wireless routers and antennas use RP connectors. Some wireless signal amplifiers (don't buy one) try to meet FCC mandates by using straight connectors so they can pretend they aren't made for wifi. Regular connectors for scanner, ham and cb use are normal without the mixed up innards.

mpddigital

Connector Q&A

Been getting a lot of Coax Connector questions. I figure a few short answers posted would help several folks.

-- Most coax connectors need to be properly matched to the resistance of the coaxial cable you are using. If you are running RG-11 or LMR-400-75 for a scanner antenna with BNC connectors you will get a better signal using 75 Ohm BNC connectors than 50 Ohm. If you are using standard 50 Ohm LMR-240, RG-8x or other 50 Ohm coax, don't use 75 Ohm BNCs. This rule applies to pretty much all connector types EXCEPT

-- PL-259 connectors and UHF connectors are not impedance matched. The old style design specs did not require it and it has carried over. UHF connectors are the same. This is - one - of the reasons these connectors exhibit so much loss over 300MHz and are not recommended for UHF and above work.

-- Connector attachment to equipment doesn't vary by coax size. N connectors are the same size attached to LMR-195 as they are for LMR-600. Crimp and pin attachments sizes vary but not the face of the connector itself where they attach to radios and antennas.

-- RG-8, RG-214, 9913, 9914, RG-213, RG-11 and LMR-400 are ALL the same size coax cable - On the Outside! The the type of shielding and dielectric varies in size and thickness as does the size of the center conductor. Pins that will fit RG-8 will not fit LMR-400 even though the barrels and connector bodies will. It will drive you nuts.

W2NJS

One additional point if I may, this in regard to BNC male connectors. There are two kinds, good ones and cheap ones. The good ones (Amphenol and their equal) do not "rock" when put on a female BNC connector. The cheap (imported) ones rock back and forth, sometimes making an intermittent or weak ground, and also putting stress on the center pin. If you're doing baseband video, or mobile radio, take the time to get the high-grade BNC plugs; it will pay in the long run.

mpddigital

Thanks! Good point. We don't use Communist products and that may be why we don't run into that but I have seen some connectors coming out now being made with plated aluminum rather than brass or stainless and those are true pieces of (*%#. You do get a better product with the brand names.

Also BNCs will move around and rock if the pin placement is off.

313RADIO

p

would be nice to have a metric ruler in each so one can get an idea of size, the sma connectors are blown up to the same size as a N connector.

charlie12

I want to re-wire my mag mount for my scanner on my truck. I almost always listen to 700 mhz, so what would be the best small coax I can get for that? I need a BNC on one end to connect to my Pro 106

Thanks

mpddigital

Either LMR-195 or LMR-240 will work fine at 700MHz. LMR195 is the same size as RG58 and LMR240 is the same size as RG8x. Each are a little stiffer than the RG coax but have much lower loss at higher freqs. If you want the best bang for buck for your application I would say use the LMR-195 coax.

charlie12

Either LMR-195 or LMR-240 will work fine at 700MHz. LMR195 is the same size as RG58 and LMR240 is the same size as RG8x. Each are a little stiffer than the RG coax but have much lower loss at higher freqs. If you want the best bang for buck for your application I would say use the LMR-195 coax.

Thanks a bunch, I need to find me some LMR-195 I guess and a good BNC to connect to me Pro 106
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.