Coax/connector question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodstock

I have the RS 20-176 antenna on my roof and I'm getting ready to replace the coax with new RG-6. I am wondering what the best connectors would be to put on or if the type of connector really even matters with a short cable run(about 25 feet).

buffalogoat

I would use a weather resistant "F" connector like a Snap-N-Seal from Thomas & Betts or LRC. Digicon is also a good fitting. If you don't have the special crimping tool for them, find a friendly CATV or SATT. installer. They all use this type of connector. You can get a "F" to "BNC" adapter at any Rat Shack if you need one.

steve2004

buffalogoat said:
I would use a weather resistant "F" connector like a Snap-N-Seal from Thomas & Betts or LRC. Digicon is also a good fitting. If you don't have the special crimping tool for them, find a friendly CATV or SATT. installer. They all use this type of connector. You can get a "F" to "BNC" adapter at any Rat Shack if you need one.

so It's ok using RG6 about 30' long? (I am not transmitting) is there a down side of that kind of coax and "Snap-n-seal" combo ?

LarrySC

You over looked one point. The 176 has an SO-239 connector for a PL-259 plug. Insert a PL to "F" adp into the SO-239. By no means solder any type of connector for that connection. Solder is where you get loss on PL plugs if the coax center does not touch the PL.

Woodstock

Does rat shack carry any type of weather resistant F connector? If not where is the best place to get it? I will be stopping by my local closing store tomorrow and it would be nice if I could pick up everything at once.

prcguy

T&B makes BNC Snap-N-Seal connectors for RG-6, just got some last week and they’re very nice. I would still use a good 50ohm coax on the Discone unless there was nothing but RG-6 in the entire state. Radio Shack and most electronic stores have RG-8X and RG-8 which you can easily install the connectors on yourself.
prcguy

buffalogoat

steve2004, if you only need 30ft. of coax for a receive only antenna, RG-6 is fine. "F" connectors are the easiest and most weather resistant connector to use with RG-6. You can get "F" to PL-259, BNC or whatever adapter you may need at any Radio Shack.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi guys,

OK on everything BUT one, waterproofing all outdoor connections. While the F connector itself may be water tight the adapter and antenna connector are not. OK, I'm stating the obvious but YOU didn't. (;->) A good tight, stretched wrap with vinyl tape starting about 2" below the fittings, up to cover the antenna connector completely and back down to the start finising with a non-stretched turn will do the trick. The reason you don't stretch the last turn is because the tape shrinks again and while that draws it tight that last turn will become loose and flap in the wind. If you want a bit of overkill Tommy Tape used in marine applications is about the best sealant you can get for such purposes.

Woody, considering you'll have to use an adapter and seal it, a weather resistant F connector is a moot point.

"I would still use a good 50ohm coax on the Discone unless there was nothing but RG-6 in the entire state."

PRC, we've gone over this a thousand times, for a multitude of reasons 50 or 75 ohms doesn't matter a bit! Signal loss is much more of a consideration and for two reasons RG-8U, RG-8X or RG-6U doesn't matter either, they have just about the same dB loss and for a 30' run it's insignificant. RG-8AU polyfoam has a slight edge but again for 30' it doesn't matter as long as RG-58U and RG-59U are avoided, they're good only up to about 30MHz except for very short mobile runs.

I always save the best for last;

"Solder is where you get loss on PL plugs if the coax center does not touch the PL."

Larry, you did it again. How can you guarantee the center conductor will touch the inside of the pin unless you're using RG-8U or equivelent cable? Since when doesn't solder conduct electricity? I could have sworn that's what it's used for but the military, millions of hams and I could be wrong. Whatever did we do before they made crimp on PL-259s? (;->)

Woodstock

So it would be a waste of money for me to get some snap-n-seal connectors and the tool to put them on since I would have to seal everything anyway? Should I just get regular F connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.