Coax Examples

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
We regularly discuss various cables on this forum using terms like RG-8, LMR-400, Heliax etc.. But I'm sure many here (especially those who are new to the game) have never actually seen what they look like. So, I went through my coax 'stash', trimmed back a few of what I had and took a side by side photo

The LMR-400 is the Ultraflex version with the stranded center conductor. (I use that to go around my antenna rotor). The 1/2 inch Heliax is FSJ4-50B. The 7/8 Heliax is LDF5-50 (Got a real deal a while back on some NOS stuff). LDF5-50 has been replaced with AVA5-50.. They both look the Same.. Not sure what the difference is.

I didn't have any RG-6 or RG-11. They look much like the RG-58 except they have foil under the braid like the LMR-400 has. There are many other types of coax types out there, but these are fairly common.

coax.jpeg

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
And, if you really want low loss.. You might be interested in 3 inch, HJ8-50B Heliax. -- 0.737 dB loss per 100 feet at 1500 MHz. Weighs 1.78 Lbs per foot. (A buddy of mine decommissioned a Broadcast Band FM radio tower. He saved a 2 foot chunk for me as a conversation piece).

coax-2.jpeg

ind224

Yeah, when I saw the loss numbers I went with 7/8" just for CB base. Fortunately, I got the section used and with the $30+ UHF connectors already installed. LMR400 for all the scanners. Indeed, the conversation piece,nice!!

prcguy

7/8" is too small for CB in my opinion, it just doesn't handle the power. This is what you really need, 6 1/8" EIA rigid line, it will handle about 300kW continuous at 27MHz. Do yourself a favor and upgrade from that wimpy stuff.

rigid line.JPG

Yeah, when I saw the loss numbers I went with 7/8" just for CB base. Fortunately, I got the section used and with the $30+ UHF connectors already installed. LMR400 for all the scanners. Indeed, the conversation piece,nice!!

prcguy

I worked on a TV station upgrade and was offered over 100ft of the old 6 1/8 rigid line for free. It would have been worth a lot of $$ in just scrap copper but I had no good way to haul or store it. I did however take the low power backup antennas and the 1kW translator transmitter. Now I'm regretting that decision.

Thanks, now we have something we can link to when someone says they want the "Best coax".

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I worked on a TV station upgrade and was offered over 100ft of the old 6 1/8 rigid line for free. It would have been worth a lot of $$ in just scrap copper but I had no good way to haul or store it. I did however take the low power backup antennas and the 1kW translator transmitter. Now I'm regretting that decision.

My brother in law and his team decommissioned a number of central offices. They recycled all the ###MCM size DC conductors. I know after the split, he took home $15,000 just for the recycled copper. That was before the market dropped out. He's doing another round of decommissions again, not sure they'll put the effort into it this time.

I've got a bunch of plenum 1/2" Heliax at work left over from abandon Nextel BDA's. Just waiting for me to harvest it.

Status
Not open for further replies.