Coax grounding question - distance concerns

KI6OVW

Here is my setup- 2 story home, 'shack' is 2nd floor corner diagonally opposite the common ground. The ingress for my coax would be about an 80' run along the gutters to get to that common ground.

Do I put a bus and 2nd ground rod at that corner outside, or do I run 80-100 feet of copper wire along underside of gutters and drop down and tie in to the common ground? And if so, what gauge wire do I need to use?

In America, so 810 does apply to me. I am not concerned with lightning (almost never happens in my area, and on the very rare occasion that we have it I can unscrew the 2 coax cables from my gear), just don't want to get in trouble.

Antennas will be Diamond X50 for 2m/70cm, and EFHW 40-20-10 (probably??? with a choke either before or after the grounding).

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Here is my setup- 2 story home, 'shack' is 2nd floor corner diagonally opposite the common ground. The ingress for my coax would be about an 80' run along the gutters to get to that common ground.

Do I put a bus and 2nd ground rod at that corner outside, or do I run 80-100 feet of copper wire along underside of gutters and drop down and tie in to the common ground? And if so, what gauge wire do I need to use?

In America, so 810 does apply to me. I am not concerned with lightning (almost never happens in my area, and on the very rare occasion that we have it I can unscrew the 2 coax cables from my gear), just don't want to get in trouble.

Antennas will be Diamond X50 for 2m/70cm, and EFHW 40-20-10 (probably??? with a choke either before or after the grounding).
How would a separate ground rod look below the shack then bond that with #6 copper buried wire to the main AC entry ground? NEC states you can use #10 copper wire for grounding an antenna to the main AC entry ground or if you add another ground rod you must bond that with at least #6 copper. There are some length restrictions at some point where you need to upsize the wire but you would have to look that up.