Coax Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TE-Guy

I am getting a 2m/440 antenna, lighting arrestor, and coax switch soon and I was needing imput.

I was thinking about getting LMR600 coax from the antenna to the lighting arrestor about (40 Ft) and then LMR400 to the coax switch (20 Ft). The 400 is thinner and more flexible to move around the tight curves of my shack.

Should I use all LMR600 or would running like I would like be good?

SCPD

QRT
I do not see where it wouldn't work make sure all add on accessories and connectors are good and waterproofed

LtDoc

Considering the length of the total run, I don't see any particular need for LMR-600, LMR-400 should do just fine. At 2 meters and 70 cm, there isn't enough difference to be significant.
- 'Doc

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You can mix cable sizes like that with no problem, within reason. Based in the lengths, I doubt it would be cost effective. But it's your money. Calculate the difference in loiss between LMR400 and LMR600 on the frequencies of interest, and see if the change in performance is worth the cost to you.

If there was ever a 'rule of thumb' about coax, it is to use the best quality, lowest loss cable that you can afford. And only you can make that decision.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The cost of the coax is a small factor. Connectors is where the big money difference comes in. LMR600 connectors are expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.