• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Coax into house question

Status
Not open for further replies.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
My question to the gurus.

I have a discone antenna in my attic (HOA wont allow it outside, nor will wife) therefor weather and lightning are NOT an issue.

The single discone feeds 4 scanners, thanks to a Stridsberg MCA204M VHF/UHF Receiver Multicoupler.

Im not sure how I will feed the coax however from the attic to the wall facing the scanners. Which of these is the better option and which (if any) will have the least amount of db loss?

BNC faceplate with 4 BNC connectors (meaning the multicoupler is BEHIND the faceplate) or...

... a faceplate with 1 BNC connector (meaning the multicoupler is in FRONT of the faceplate) this option would be preferred because the moulticoupler is active and requires power.

or a third option would be to have a nifty face plate that doesn't require the BNC connectors at all and just has a "cosmetically pleasing" alternative such as a downward facing hole that the coax runs straight through.

If the third option exists, can you point me to a link? Will having a faceplate with BNC connector cause signal loss?

Thanks!

Last edited:

n5ims

I've used something similar to your first solution and it worked quite well. It looks nice and helps control the mass of cables (yes, for now there's only one, but later you may add more) that feed into your station. When you sell it can be left for the new owner ("It's a high-power cable-TV connection.") so you won't need to worry about patching it up like just poking a hole in the wall.

mpddigital

Anytime you use a coupler or connector you will get some loss but in your situation I would not be too concerned about signal strength since your run will be fairly short.. Use the best coax, splitter and connectors you can and you should get a good signal. Be aware that for antennas in attics moving just a few feet can change reception significantly to the good or bad.

blue5011

I wouldn't be too concerned about loss due to the coax, you already got a loss with the antenna in an attic. VHF and UHF are generally line-of-sight. You would be better off investing in a yagi or beam antenna if there is a particular site/frequency you need to listen to.

Could have installed a simple R/S ground plane 19" scanner antenna ($30) on the rear eave of your house and the HOA nasties wouldn't be the wiser. Who looks for antennas on a roof anyway?

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
When my HOA finds my antenna behind the chimney, I will switch to the Ventenna. When I tried the attic I got the same results as a rubber ducky. It's just not a great place. Check out the link.

Untitled

blue5011

When my HOA finds my antenna behind the chimney, I will switch to the Ventenna. When I tried the attic I got the same results as a rubber ducky. It's just not a great place. Check out the link.

Untitled

What reason do they have to "look" behind your chimney? There are a few times I get angry living in a seventy year-old home on a couple of acres in the sticks... My "farmer" neighbors could care less what kind of antenna's I have put up or how high the tower(s) go.

Status
Not open for further replies.