Coax Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugene

Greetings. I have about 60 feet Belden 9913 cable which is about 8 years old. It was sealed with coax sealant at all connectors and was outdoors for about 5 years. I have moved and taken it down and have had it stored in a dry environment for about 3 years. I am getting ready to put up new antennas. My questions are: What is the life of this type of coax? Is it now too old to use and should be replaced? The outer covering is weather worn but intact so I guess the concern is for the Center Wire and outer braid. Thanks in advance for any input.

Eugene KG4AVE

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If it is true Belden 9913, then it has an air dielectric. Issue with that is water can condense in there if there is any break in the cable. That will cause corrosion and all kinds of issues.

It's hard to tell. If the outer jacket has become fragile and chalky looking, I'd be suspect. But, it sounds like you treated it right. For RX use, it may be just fine.

On the other hand, 60 feet of LMR-400 or something similar isn't horribly expensive.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
Inspect the jacket for cracks, sweep the cable for SWR/return loss. that's how you know it's good or not.

Regardless of condition I would say it's not worth the effort to install 9913, especially since LMR400 type cable (including Belden 9914 and RF400) is so cheap and much more reliable for the reasons stated above.

Eugene

It is true Belden 9913 cable (at least that's what's printed on the jacket). The outer cable is dull and kinda dirty/weathered. It does appear intact but it could have a small crack...would not see it. It is for receive only. it did the trick in it'd day (caught CHP on low band bounce in costal Va...even recorded it as no one would believe it). But I only want to go on a high ladder once. LMR 400 has similar loss over 100 feet so may be worth trying. Thanks for the help guys.

Eugene KG4AVE

Status
Not open for further replies.