Coax Limits or Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ky_fire_man

Premium Subscriber
I am installing a base antenna and wasn't sure what length of coax I should try and stay under. I will be running around 50 feet or slightly under. I have heard of putting an inline amp to boost the signal strength, anyone done that?

Thanks!

EDIT:
I didn't notice the Coax Cable and Connectors forum until after I posted this... Feel free to move, sorry.

Last edited:

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
For under 50' you should spend more on your antenna/coax before wasting it on an inline amp, also get the antenna up in the air as tall as possible; this will have a more positive impact.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The higher the frequency the more important coax becomes. Get some LMR-400. Good luck.

ky_fire_man

Premium Subscriber
You two must have read my mind :) both of y'all's reply's is kinda what I was thinking. Just thought I'd ask and see... I have some 1/2 inch heliax superflex I plan to use for coax but I'm not sure what kind of antenna I'm gonna use yet.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved. Next time, please use the Report Post icon and a Mod will move the thread. We don't read all the threads so sometimes a request made to move the thread within the thread will be missed. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.