Coax taped to mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom

Premium Subscriber
Is it OK to use electrical tape instead of standoffs to fasten LMR400 from the antenna down the mast ?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You shouldn't need standoffs but I wouldn't use electrical tape. I like my duct tape LOL. Keep in mind it won't be permanent.

Lmr400 is a good coaxial for low loss higher frequency listening so I assume you are setting up for a scanner. Make sure to use a good sealant on all your connections. If you use coax- seal then wrap electrical tape around the connections first then apply the sealant and mold it. It'll make it easier to take it off if you need to.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Electrical tape usually won't last long. Then it'll be flapping around in the breeze. You really don't want that as the weight of the cable pulling down on the connection can result in failure.

Better option is to use one of the following:

Black ty wraps. But make sure they are 'UV stabilized'. Cheap ones don't have the UV stabilizers and will quickly break down and fail due to sunlight exposure.

Better yet, get some stainless steel ty wraps. They'll last forever. They are expensive, but you can buy small packages of 10 or so from places like Ace hardware or online. Or, better yet, you can get larger packages of them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/20-Stainless-Steel-Cable-Ties/dp/B0066783LY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2FVU5G81IC5VE&dchild=1&keywords=stainless+steel+ty+wraps&qid=1616088027&sprefix=stainless+steel+ty,aps,251&sr=8-5

prcguy

Scotch 33+ electrical tape has lasted over 20yrs here holding coax and cables to masts and things outdoors. The trick is to cut the end and stick it down and not stretch and pull it apart to cut. When you do that the end gets shriveled up and doesn't stick well, eventually starting the unravel process. Scotch 33+ has actually outlasted black Ty-Raps at the same location. If you want the best of both worlds use a Ty-Rap first then cover it with Scotch 33+ to keep the UV from destroying the Ty-Rap over time.

Stainless ties from Panduit and others are fine but you have to be very careful not to squeeze or distort the coax. I had a vendor install some long runs of RG-11 off some satellite dishes and they did the most beautiful job with stainless ties placing them the exact same distance apart to probably within a mm. Problem is they squished the coax and the VSWR went through the roof. The precise spacing insured the problem would repeat at the exact same frequency and compound the problem over and over. I had to eventually replace all the runs with new coax.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
As you see everyone is discouraging the use of regular electrical tape as I did. It would be flapping in the wind very quickly LOL. The scotch 33 recommended is it good idea. When I say duct tape I mean, duck tape, and a lot of it... I had switched to Gorilla tape for a while and found that while both tapes lasted a long long time the Gorilla Tape would break down to a netting type material but that took years and years and by nature I would drop the masts and do some inspection and make some changes as necessary as the whole setup started to get compromised by weather. I never had good success with the ties, always used lmr400 and did have problems with the coax getting damaged, probably because I didn't apply them right :)

thom

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for your input. I think I'll go with black Ty-wraps. I have the mast sitting on an upstairs deck and attached to the soffit, so it's easy to lower it using a small step ladder to reach the bracket. I do take it down to switch antennas occasionally, so Ty-wraps are probably the way to go for my situation.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Scotch 33+ electrical tape has lasted over 20yrs here holding coax and cables to masts and things outdoors.

+1 on Scotch 33.

Don't try this with Harbor Freight electrical tape where you get 10 rolls for $4, plus a free flashlight.

The 'stretch to break' thing with electrical tape is a good way to identify installers who know what they are doing from those that don't. If you see a guy with a roll of electrical tape and some scissors/razor blade, it's a good sign you've got a good installer.

Problem is they squished the coax and the VSWR went through the roof.

Had a contractor do this with Category 5 cabling about 20+ years ago and couldn't figure out why it kept flunking certification testing. Tech's gotta be smarter than the tool they are using.

prcguy

Black Ty-Raps can last up to about 5yrs in the sun but they usually fall apart before then. This is for Home Depot quality, I have not used real T&B Ty-Raps in a long time which might last longer.

Thanks all for your input. I think I'll go with black Ty-wraps. I have the mast sitting on an upstairs deck and attached to the soffit, so it's easy to lower it using a small step ladder to reach the bracket. I do take it down to switch antennas occasionally, so Ty-wraps are probably the way to go for my situation.

thom

Premium Subscriber
Black Ty-Raps can last up to about 5yrs in the sun but they usually fall apart before then. This is for Home Depot quality, I have not used real T&B Ty-Raps in a long time which might last longer.

That makes sense to me, I'll never leave it alone without changing things for 5 years anyway. Home Depot is my friend.

WB9YBM

Is it OK to use electrical tape instead of standoffs to fasten LMR400 from the antenna down the mast ?

I've done it with no problem. The one thing I would suggest is a god quality electrical tape-the cheap stuff will turn hard/dry out from UV. (My favorite's made by 3M.)

majoco

Stirrer
I still have T&B Ty-raps out in the sun after I 'borrowed' them from work about 16 years ago. They have gone a bit white on the surface but show no signs of cracking.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I've been on towers where I had to remove old feedline that was attached with 14 AWG solid copper wire twisted around the tower leg and the feedline. The feedline failed long before that 14 AWG copper. Not saying that it is right, but it worked for whoever installed it, probably 40 years ago.

bharvey2

I've used both tape and tie wraps. In both cases, cheap products result in sub-par results. I prefer the tie wraps but never use a mechanical tensioners. I get them just tight enough by hand that they don't slip. As prcguy mentioned, getting overzealous with tightening them makes for bad results - not just with coax but with CAT cable as well.

wcsd45

UV stable zip ties, snug, non crazy tight. Don’t squeeze the coax too much.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I’ll agree with Rescue161 about solid copper wire out lasting feed line. Considering that copper is a naturally occurring element it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon unless there is a risk of having a constant mist of concentrated ammonia hitting it.

Seconded that cheap electrical tape eventually sticks to everything it isn’t supposed to and nothing it is supposed to. Zip ties are cheap and work well if you don’t mind doing some maintenance every so often.

Last option that I haven’t seen mentioned yet would be parachute cord aka 550 cord. It is curiously strong and will out last most things already mentioned. 550 cord can be purchased for less than $15 per 100 feet. It also has 1001 other uses. They even make reflective 550 cord and in any color you might want.

East Tennessee has some wild weather. A single piece of 550 cord about 12 feet long has kept my friend’s trampoline from blowing away more times than I care to count. That is some major major forces. I believe it has been holding on for dear life at least 5 or 6 years now. Imagine a trampoline flapping in the breeze while a dog house flies by.

In respect of strength, photostability, price, and longevity you’d be hard pressed to beat it. Just be square with the fact you’ll have to cut it if you did put it on something long term, but at least the price won’t change your life.

Hope that helps.

Chemist who appreciates the nerdy science of materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.