Cobb Co, GA BoE/Schools - DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gachamp2

I'm trying to program my BCD436HP to pick up my child's school. It looks to be on a digital DMR. When I program in Sentinel, I'm not sure how to set up the digital search. Currently, I have it set to Digital Code Search, but it's still garbled transmission. I'm getting hits when they tx but I can't tell if I'm not programmed correctly for the DMR or if the channel might be encrypted(I don't think that it is, I could be wrong).

Is anyone familiar with scanning schools in Cobb County, GA?
Freq: 464.9375
Modulation: Auto
Audio Option: Digital Search Code - Does this need to be a color code number instead? If so, do I just try to guess one of the color codes as a trial and error?

Thanks,
Dustin

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing this is the license in question you are trying to monitor? Emissions on that frequency are narrowband FM analog though I have seen instances where agencies utilize different modes like DMR without notifying the FCC. Another possibility for the DMR you could be hearing could be this licensee which has a DMR emissions code by that frequency. Long story short, the scanner should be able to at least decode talkgroup and color code (even if set to CC search). If the audio is garbled either A. the channel is encrypted (in that case you'd also see ENC on the screen) or B. the signal isn't strong enough to decode. Moving a close as possible to the transmission site would give you a better answer. If you have a clear strong signal by the school and the audio is still garbled, then encryption may be a possibility

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Are you trying to program it as just 1 conventional DMR channel, or as a while system? Digital search and the Color code are 2 different things. When you pick up a transmission, if it is DMR, it will display the color code that it uses. The digital code will also be displayed if it's using one also. A little more info is needed for further help.

gachamp2

I've got a strong signal, I live a few houses down. I found the freq on georgiascanner.com and plugged it in initially thinking it was just conventional analog. I don't think they've moved the schools to D17/P25. Could it be a private DMR system? I'll scan again and see if I get an ENC display. I think it would be strange to have a school w/ encryption.

Attachments

• MurdockDCS.JPG
    MurdockDCS.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 18

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
Many school frequencies in Georgia are encrypted. Some entire BOE systems are that way. Make sure you have ID search ON for this system also. Or the talkgroup number entered. If it is encrypted the 436 might not make any sound, you have to see ENC in the display.

gachamp2

This transmission is from the parking lot. Much stronger signal. Still not sure what the issue is.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
While held on that channel, press the Enter key, Choose Edit Current Channel, press Enter
Scroll down to Set Audio Type, press Enter
Set it to Digital Only, press Enter
If you're not sure of color code, leave the digital code option at "Search" it'll detect it for you

Hope this helps

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Alternatively you could program the channel as a DMR one-frequency system. This way if there are two talkgroups & two slots on the same frequency, it'll detect both and you can hold onto one TG or the other if you want to.

N8IAA

I'm trying to program my BCD436HP to pick up my child's school. It looks to be on a digital DMR. When I program in Sentinel, I'm not sure how to set up the digital search. Currently, I have it set to Digital Code Search, but it's still garbled transmission. I'm getting hits when they tx but I can't tell if I'm not programmed correctly for the DMR or if the channel might be encrypted(I don't think that it is, I could be wrong).

Is anyone familiar with scanning schools in Cobb County, GA?
Freq: 464.9375
Modulation: Auto
Audio Option: Digital Search Code - Does this need to be a color code number instead? If so, do I just try to guess one of the color codes as a trial and error?

Thanks,
Dustin

Macy's. That's why the signal isn't strong. They use low power HT's for their comms.

Wouldn't take too much stock in getting anything worthwhile from georgia scanner. Lots of misinformation on that site.

Cobb schools are in the 450 MHz range. Do a Google search for digital frequencies. See what you might find.

Amazing how those from PA and MS seem to know what's what in GA.:rolleyes:

radiohead90

This transmission is from the parking lot. Much stronger signal. Still not sure what the issue is.

This for sure is a repeater on the frequency. I can tell by the data preamble you hear in the audio. I used to maintain all there repeaters and it definitely is not encrypted. Maybe theirs a issue with how your configuring your scanner to monitor it. I'm not familiar with your scanner.

I briefly remember on my old scanner i used. If you go directly to a frequency it would only monitor it in analog. But if you scanned the range and it landed on the frequency it would decode digital. Radio Shack Pro 668 was the model i used to use. All i use for monitoring things are commercial radios now.

I used to work for a Motorola Shop as a system's engineer. Maintained every public safety radio system in the metro Atlanta area. Now i am a radio system administrator for one of those departments ;-). I don't remember the color code for this repeater. But i can confirm with 100% certainly its not encrypted.

Being that i most likely was the last person to program it.

Hope this helps

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

rayvelcoro

Your help is greatly appreciated! Help is help regardless of where it's coming from.
I scan the ATL area. Cobb Co BOE (from FCC database): 453.8 (schools), 453.375 (buses),both DMR [old license for analog, likely using DMR]- I haven't tested these personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.