Cobb County P25 on Uniden and GRE video

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

Can you all confirm that its the decoding and not the ability to receive the data well enough that's causing this in the 396. The S meter seemed to fluctuate alot on the 396 in the video but not on the GRE. Given a strong signal would the 396 do better.

I hope to buy one of the two this week and found a 396xt on CL for an awesome price. Help!

frazpo

That doesn't appear to be a P25 system. Looks like conventional frequency receive.

However, on my local system AWIN both the 500 and 396XT work very well. I think that there are a lot of variables to consider. Your system, signal strength, interference, etc.?

Good eye. I didn't notice. I agree on the variables. Sure would be nice to sample each before buying huh?

safetyobc

Good eye. I didn't notice. I agree on the variables. Sure would be nice to sample each before buying huh?

Yes it would! I would probably ask around in my local forums (in your case MO forum) and might even contact a few amateur radio operators in your area (as a lot of those guys have scanners too) and see what they are using and how they like it.

ilgrant

The conditions do not appear to be the same. There appears to be (in the background) a teddy bear holding the GRE. The Uniden sounded like it was in an echo chamber. If the Uniden was in the same location as the GRE then I would consider it a valid test.

They were in two rooms so the audio would interfere with each other. I wanted the test to be done at the exact same time. Obviously a YouTube comparison video isn't a scientific test, but consider they were both literally 5 feet away from each other.

I don't work for either company, I think they both have a long way to go, so I don't know why you would assume or accuse me of falsifying the data on purpose. Heck I want the radios to work well...if anything, I tried everything I could to make the Uniden perform well. I made sure the firmware was up to date, I even bought a professional 800mhz antenna setup on my vehicle at a public safety radio install shop. They even looked at the radio.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Here in ILL on the Starcom Digital statewide system my 396XT is next to perfect, while not the RS106 i sold my GRE500 (same radio?) would not even get thru two words without dropping out...I think its different on different systems and how there set up...This new up-coming upgrade in decoding digital on Unidens hopefully will help all systems....

frazpo

They were in two rooms so the audio would interfere with each other. I wanted the test to be done at the exact same time. Obviously a YouTube comparison video isn't a scientific test, but consider they were both literally 5 feet away from each other.

I don't work for either company, I think they both have a long way to go, so I don't know why you would assume or accuse me of falsifying the data on purpose. Heck I want the radios to work well...if anything, I tried everything I could to make the Uniden perform well. I made sure the firmware was up to date, I even bought a professional 800mhz antenna setup on my vehicle at a public safety radio install shop. They even looked at the radio.

I don't think anyone is discounting your attempt, it is probably about as good as a test someone could have done. It was just released this morning that a firmware update is being released to improve reception in the 396. Let's hope it works. I hope you post your update after this latest firmware release. Interesting to know if it improves and how well?

tim

I wish I knew that there was an update coming out. I called and they didn't tell me that, so I returned the radio to Fry's. Like I've said, I prefer the UI and the aesthetics of the uniden, but it wasn't useable for me.

bonus1331

Optical,
I found the same think down here in Coweta County.
Been a die-hard Uniden guy for over 15 years.
Coweta switched over from conventional to a new 700 Mhz TRS near the end of the year.
The HP-1 is even more sporadic than your video and the 396XT was only slightly better.
Was pretty pissed that I couldn't monitor my own county's radio traffic.
Went and bought a PRO-106.

Find I am receiving about 80-95% of the traffic with the 106.
I really still prefer Uniden's DMA and the form factor over the RS, but fact is; I can finally hear what's going on.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Note: I am posting this here and on YouTube so that potential buyers of both these radios who live in an area with P25 trunking systems can know what to expect.

The trouble is your "test" (if you want to call it that) only shows us
what reception is at your specific monitoring location.
You forget that every P25 system is unique so your experiences with your area is not indicative of monitoring on "every" P25 system nationwide.
You can't make a blanket statement that just because YOU experienced issues that everyone else will across the US.
Here in Central NC there are places where my GRE radios perform well while in other spots
my Unidens put the GRE radios to shame.
Like anything else as far as radio reception it depends on many variables (including luck).
Anyone saying one specific brand is "best" over another on "all" systems "hands down" and the competition "sucks" probably has ulterior motives to do so and their opinion should be taken lightly.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Bottom line: If you're going to be monitoring system(s) that incorporate P25, you will be better off with the
GRE500, or the RS PRO-106.

Bottom Line: You tested both Uniden and GRE scanners on EVERY P25 system
nationwide to be able to make the blanket statement above?
Otherwise your statement above is inaccurate.
Like I said above every radio system is unique and radio reception can vary
depending on many variables.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Yes it would! I would probably ask around in my local forums (in your case MO forum) and might even contact a few amateur radio operators in your area (as a lot of those guys have scanners too) and see what they are using and how they like it.

This is the way to go. Find some local scanner geeks and see which radios perform best in your area that give you the features you will use daily.
Verses taking a blanket statement from someone that probably has never been to your town that one companies radios will work better than another on P25 systems everywhere.
Happy Monitoring to all
Marshall KE4ZNR

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The trouble is your "test" (if you want to call it that) only shows us
what reception is at your specific monitoring location.
You forget that every P25 system is unique so your experiences with your area is not indicative of monitoring on "every" P25 system nationwide.
You can't make a blanket statement that just because YOU experienced issues that everyone else will across the US.
Here in Central NC there are places where my GRE radios perform well while in other spots
my Unidens put the GRE radios to shame.
Like anything else as far as radio reception it depends on many variables (including luck).
Anyone saying one specific brand is "best" over another on "all" systems "hands down" and the competition "sucks" probably has ulterior motives to do so and their opinion should be taken lightly.
Marshall KE4ZNR

obviously there is a problem with the 396XT/996XT or Uniden would not bother to release a long overdue firmware update to allegedly resolve what you claim is a problem that doesn't exist.

you're correct, radio systems are different.
so are receivers, there are good receiver designs, and poor ones.
so far, the 396XT comes up in the poor category in my experience.
and I'm obviously not in the minority here.

if a simple firmware update can resolve it's horrible performance on CQPSK-LSM reception, great- I may even give one a shot- but hearing will be believing.

N8IAA

Larry, one day we'll get Mike to get that ticket so he can talk to us on all those fancy radios he's got...I mean radios are more fun when there's someone to talk to on the other end:D

As far as the PSR, I'm gonna wait and see what the 900 brings. But I don't think I'll EVER buy a Uniden with the technical abortion their digital scanners have turned out to be...

We'll have to hog tie hime and duck tape his mouth:lol: After talking to Nori, W6GRE last year at the Alford Memorial hamfest, the 900 is just a mobile version of the 800. Just a remote head in a horizontal mode.
Larry

Nasby

Wow! What a total POS that Uniden scanner is. While I've always heard that the performance left alot to be desired, the proof is right there. Glad I didn't waste my money on one.
Thanks so much for the very informative, unbiased video!!

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Hey! No PM talking about me!

The 396 works great on the Fulton Analog system, but that about it. I use it mainly because of the remote head capability. Since I haven't played much with the GRE or PSR, I don't know if they have the remote head capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.