Cobb County P25 on Uniden and GRE video

Status
Not open for further replies.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
HA! I got it right! I would love to try one of those PSR's as I live in Cobb (411 beat) and I'm tired of calls just dropping off into la-la land! Makes matters worse, I live within 1.3 miles as the crow flies from the Gordy site!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
you really should come down here to zone 3 where I live, this is where you will see a night and day difference. The 396 will be totally useless, and the GRE's have about a 70-80 percent decode rate.

but yeah, I'm not surprised. It's no secret that Uniden can't build a CQPSK-LSM receiver to save their lives.

Notice how UPMan is as quiet as his company's scanners are on this issue...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Larry, one day we'll get Mike to get that ticket so he can talk to us on all those fancy radios he's got...I mean radios are more fun when there's someone to talk to on the other end:D

As far as the PSR, I'm gonna wait and see what the 900 brings. But I don't think I'll EVER buy a Uniden with the technical abortion their digital scanners have turned out to be...

I didn't get an 800 because well, it doesn't have a keypad. I'm all for no keypad (I love my iPhone and iPad) but they have virtual keypads (I prefer these). The PSR-800 has literally no keypad. So much for FPP.

Honestly though, the PSR-500 absolutely destroys the Uniden. When I took it back to Fry's, the woman asked what was wrong with it, I said "Nothing, it works as advertised, extremely crappy." and she just laughed. So if anyone wants it, it's been discounted to $435 and is back on the shelf.

The other thing I like, other than actually being able to hear a full transmission, is the fact that their customer service is excellent. When I first got this radio, the P25 vocoder was tango uniform. I called GRE, and it took a week to get my radio back, free of charge, with a brand new logic board installed.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I think it comes down to the fact that GRE is purely about scanners and related equipment. Like GMC says, do one thing, do it well. They don't make cordless phones, walkie-talkies, camera, speakers, or other consumer crap, so they can concentrate ALL their resources and support to their scanner products.

and the number of people who come on boards and rave about their level of support and service shows versus the number of unhappy Uniden customers. Uniden's service turnaround time is sluggish at best, and they insist on using FedEX SmartPost, which is the SLOWEST most inefficient form of parcel shipping short of USPS ForeverPost aka ParcelPost. I think shows how much they DON'T CARE about scanner customers, as it is just a small slice of their pie. Scanners are just another product they sell, right next to bluetooth headsets, marine radios, FRS toy walkie-talkies that transmit "22 miles" (love that load of poop), wireless speakers, cameras, and whatever else they can fit on the boat from China.

No problem, the next scanner I buy WILL be a GRE, and even though RadioShaft sells GRE hardware, remember their support sucks worse than Uniden's. GRE has shown that they are all about the scanner/receiver product line and it shows with superior performing products and support beyond expectations.

Parham in your case I'm still amazed they fixed your used PSR500, no questions asked, in under 2 weeks and had it back in your hands and actually FIXED THE PROBLEM right the first time.

They've earned my future business for sure.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

Fenix

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD396XT , its such a disappointment when I tune into P25 , sometimes I can't even understand the conversation due to all the cutting out.

i would like to say that cobbs p 25 system is way better than the p 25 systems here in south carolina like the one charleston county has if you were to here it on your scanner its so awful you would want to throw it out the window

GrumpyGuard

I love the tone quality of the Pro106 when listening to a P25 system. In most cases it sounds better than the analog signals.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
The GRE does sound very good compared to the uniden- very professional sounding without all the cutting out.

kf4uuz

I am in complete agreement with the OP, as well as the other replies.

IMHO it's really too bad that the 396XT cannot compete when it comes down to P25 communications.
I do like many of the features that the XT does have, that the 500/PRO-106 cannot do.

The RS/GRE 800 MHz antenna does help the problem somewhat in my area.

Bottom line: If you're going to be monitoring system(s) that incorporate P25, you will be better off with the
GRE500, or the RS PRO-106.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
I would agree the 106 even off frequency by .5khz sounded better then the 396xt that was fresh from uniden saying there were no issues at all when sent in the 1st time for repair...

although the 396 takes a better bang then the 106.... lol
just the 396 always seemed to run very very hot on the back when plugged in even if you ran it on alkaline in non charge position or no batteries at all in it....

uniden says thats normal and "the unit performs to factory specifications" try anntenuator with uniden on p25 trunk systems and it actually dont do too awefull bad... looks like the xt and 106 were probrably over modulated a bit....

Status
Not open for further replies.