Cobourg Police and Fire, want to be part of Northumberland County new radio sytem

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they'd ever change there system if I'd lose there communications?

I can't get the Cobourg city system from my locale, but I can hear the countywide channel for FD which gets every other dept. other than Cobourg talkaround.

VE3RADIO

I wonder if they'd ever change there system if I'd lose there communications?

I can't get the Cobourg city system from my locale, but I can hear the countywide channel for FD which gets every other dept. other than Cobourg talkaround.

I can get Cobourg in the summer here in Mississauga, it is surprisingly strong for such a small town.

Jammin_Jay

The cobourg city system has less power, then the police repeater simulcasting on 142.485 which you would probably hear farther away. The 142.485 is voice inverted, but on the cobourg city system the signal is not encrypted and just straight analog voice in the clear. I will never understand why the did that. Why encrypt a patched frequency on the 142.485 repeater and NOT on the cobourg city system. LOL, its the same thing. LOL. Oh well its good for scanner listeners in and around the Northumberland County area.

Port hope police is also voice inverted.

But I believe reading the article that The intention is to get a northumberland county wide system, with Port Hope and Cobourg police on it, as well as all fire depts, to be dispatched from One location (possibly cobourg).

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
And that's the part I'm worried about. If they go with a 800 Mhz system, I doubt I'd get it here in Belleville. VHF might be doable. But if it's anything like the Cobourg system I doubt it.

Then again, if it's countywide I'm sure they'd need a few other towers around so maybe there's a good possibility. If that's the case, then that's a good thing. If not, then I'm SOL.

:confused:
But I believe reading the article that The intention is to get a northumberland county wide system, with Port Hope and Cobourg police on it, as well as all fire depts, to be dispatched from One location (possibly cobourg).

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
You have Lake Ontario helping you. I however have Prince Edward County blocking me. :( And I'm even facing that way with my antenna up about 40-50 ft.

However when conditions are good, I can pull in Pontypool site for Fleetnet and end up getting 1OPS42. I know doesn't make sense.

I can get Cobourg in the summer here in Mississauga, it is surprisingly strong for such a small town.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I've been able to pick up Pontypool from Belleville during good conditions last summer. Weird hearing 1OPS42 from my area. Hoping it'll be the same this year as well. I'm almost positive I've picked up Whitby before as well. Fonthill came in too, but it buggered up some of the local towers because of the frequencies that are duplicated.

I can pick up the Pontypool, TWR for opp up on top of a hill, and i live just south of madoc

VA3JWO

WZ1
I was not Able to pick up either of those two towers, however, when the skip, is really good, I can recieve the NYSP (New York State Police) Buffalo Frequency which is 453.525. When the Skip is Really
Good, and you want to shoot for some real long range, try 453.425
will

Status
Not open for further replies.