• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 148 nw st repair/ trouble shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orbit_Uranus

Picked up my first cb radio today used off Craigslist owner said it works great!

It's a cobra 148 nw st soundtracker

The channel number light up and so does the meter but not the faceplate like I think it should, also the meter never moves on transmit or receive , I did read the Manuel online n played with all the switches but no meter movement

I did hear one distant transmission on channel 19 but no replies to my radio check calls

Anyone know where to find documents on how to trouble shoot or repair the meter and backlight? I am no radio repair expert and looking for some guidance on where to start looking to learn more about poking around inside the radio.

The price I paid for the radio was 25.00 usd

Thanks!

Orbieswar

For that sort of $$$ your lucky it even turns on.
I would be getting your power meter and dummy load onto her to see what if anything is transmitting.

Dawn

You probably picked the best radio for aftermarket parts and accessorization. A replacement meter can be purchased from just about any cb supply. Instead of the bulbs/lighting, you'd be much better off replacing all of them with bright white LED's. Most all the cb supply places sell them premade with a series resistor and flying leads as a direct replacement. You're in Fl. Redman should be pretty close to you and probably sells everything you need in one stop or on Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.