• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 148GTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqs

I have a 148 its at least 20 years old maybe older. I love it I have had alot of work done to it .it sounds great and Ive talked to people all over the US on it.I use it mobile and for a base as well .

zzdiesel

I used to dream about owning a 148 but was never lucky enough till after I got out of CB. I always wanted the 148DX. I had a friend who had two. They were some talking Bocephus's. They were very loud and very clear.

freqs

My 148 gtl was made in the late 70's it says Taiwon R.O.C on the back of the radio .I had better luck with the 148 than my 76xl .Ive been off the air for 2 years .in the Detroit area its all f words and big radios rule the air mine aint stock and I dont run a amp so I cant fly with 1000 or more watts (no one runs under 250 watts).They wash out 3 or 4 channels or more . I still use it in the trash truck at the landfill or the trips to see family in KY .

zzdiesel

Ive been off the air for 2 years .in the Detroit area its all f words and big radios rule the air
Sounds like we got off CB for the same reasons. The Drunks & Dope Heads took over CB here in my area in 1992. if you didn't use the F word every other breath; then you didn't fit in.

I kept a mobile in my vehicle for a few years to remind myself that it still wasn't fit to have around the kids. :mad: :(

Allan_Love_Jr

Sounds like we got off CB for the same reasons. The Drunks & Dope Heads took over CB here in my area in 1992. if you didn't use the F word every other breath; then you didn't fit in.

I kept a mobile in my vehicle for a few years to remind myself that it still wasn't fit to have around the kids. :mad: :(
Not all the time. It depends where you go. If your in the country and away from the big city crap you will be fine. I have been into CB for well over 15 years now and let me tell you. The only time that you will hear swear words is when someone is having a bad day. Such as a Trucker. Or a four wheeler with a CB. The only place I hear cussing is in Omaha with all those morons with base stations fighting with the truckers. So it's not that bad. Channel 19 is even worse. As for the other Channels. No one ever uses them. CB is not what it use to be.

funcritter

I have two of these radios that I bought about three years ago. I used them for a few weeks and then bought two RCI radios and haven't used the Cobras since.

Cobra 148GTLs were my first CB radios back in the early 90s. Very cool and easy to mod.

Here in the Denver area, it's sort of cleaned up though we still have a few idiots getting on insisting that their radio is better than mine. I don't want to see CB users go away and have only truckers have them. I've had allot of fun on them since the late 80s and shooting skip. I spent a whole summer on the uppers because I was so tired of the garbage on 19. It was cool making it up to Arizona and California and some states east of Colorado.

Cobra 148GTLs were my first CB radios back in the early 90s. Very cool and easy to mod.

Here in the Denver area, it's sort of cleaned up though we still have a few idiots getting on insisting that their radio is better than mine. I don't want to see CB users go away and have only truckers have them. I've had allot of fun on them since the late 80s and shooting skip. I spent a whole summer on the uppers because I was so tired of the garbage on 19. It was cool making it up to Arizona and California and some states east of Colorado.

When I lived in Denver, I had a Cobra 148GLT with a 5/8 wave ground plane and used to hang out over 38LSB in the early '90's. There was a group of guys that would reside up there and on Ch 21, and would talk nightly. A great bunch, no cussing, swearing, etc. But of course you would get somebody with a badly modified radio that splattered everywhere or ran more power than KOA, or wanted to start a fight, etc...

On the DX side, I also worked Arizona, California, and the midwest. I even made it clear to the land down under during over 37USB during the height of the solar cycle in the early 90's. Now that was awesome!!

ksphotoguy

I have several 148's , one is an older side mic phillipines model, and another is a new one I got from Sparkys CB Shack. They both talk great and have had no problems with the new one. Have had it for about 2 years now. Oh, I also have a 148 F that I don't use, have thought about selling it sometime....

N4JNW

And why do you say that? I have one and it is a damn good radio. Not one problem with it at all. The damn thing can really get out.

I say that because they just are not built like the older 148's. They even "feel" cheaper. The old 148's used 1/4 watt resistors (the big fat ones) and the new ones are 1/8 watt (the small ones). Most of the old 148's also were NOT made in China. When Cobra terminated thier merger with Uniden, thier quality went to S1.

I'm glad you have good luck with yours, because I've owned 4 of them, left them bone stock, and all 4 wound up going to the parts bin.

You want a damn good radio, get a Uniden.

SCPD

QRT
i do but its broken.

Hi everyone.

How many of you out there have the Cobra 148GTL CB Radio? I do and I love it. It is a great Radio.
Later.

i have one i got at a garage sale it works ok but some wrong with the
it. it cant transmit. im going to get a new mic for it.
the mic is a coffin mic. other then that the radio reseives good.
you know what i used to test an ho-scale transformer on the DC.
it works pertty good.

also i got a midland international base radio,
i won on ebay for $ 20.00 its a good radio too.

fritz73

Premium Subscriber
NEW 148GTL issues?

Hey N4JNW, what are some of the problems in particular you have had with yours?- just wondering so I know what to look out for. I'm definately not a fan of anything made in China either but I've had one of the newer units as well for a few years now without any problems.

CompuDoc

Around here the kids will be able to talk on it if they wanted to because CB is dead in this area. I can have my scanner search all day and all night long and it will hear nothing.

When I lived in Denver, I had a Cobra 148GLT with a 5/8 wave ground plane and used to hang out over 38LSB in the early '90's. There was a group of guys that would reside up there and on Ch 21, and would talk nightly. A great bunch, no cussing, swearing, etc. But of course you would get somebody with a badly modified radio that splattered everywhere or ran more power than KOA, or wanted to start a fight, etc...

On the DX side, I also worked Arizona, California, and the midwest. I even made it clear to the land down under during over 37USB during the height of the solar cycle in the early 90's. Now that was awesome!!

The furthest I talked to was Cuba and that was from Jackson NJ at an uncle's house he had a President Grant radio. Had I of been near the water I probably would have been able to talk further. That was in the early 80's before CB totally died in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.