• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 19Plus help, loads of static

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melium

I have a Cobra 19 Plus that is running on an Ac to Dc cigarette lighter transformer. Ive got it hooked to a 30 foot tv antenna via coax. I get 1-3 bars on each channel, on 1-16 i get around 4 bars, but all i hear is static and occasionally faint Txs. Only on ch1 do I hear things, my neighbors Txs at night. Everything else is static.us Any ideas?

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
First let me extend a very warm welcome to Radioreference, now down to cases. Do you mean the Cobra: 19 DX II, 19 DX III, 19 LTD Classic II, 19 Ultra II or the 19 DX IV radio? Because there is no 19 DX+. Have you adjusted the RF gain control at all? Does your power supply meet or exceed the minimum required power rating for the radio? What is your "actual" coax length & what type of coax are you using? Did you say you are using a TV antenna? When you reply, we can go from there, okay, good luck.

www.cobraelec.com

www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cb_radio.html

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

Melium

First let me extend a very warm welcome to Radioreference, now down to cases. Do you mean the Cobra 19 DX IV radio? Have you adjusted the RF gain control at all? Does your power supply meet or exceed the minimum required power rating for the radio? What is your "actual" coax length & what type of coax are you using? Did you say you are using a TV antenna? When you reply, we can go from there, okay, good luck.

FLRAILMAN

Thanks. Its the standard Cobra 19+ plastic case. No RF control, just vol and squelch. I had it plugged into the tv ant using regular tv type coax. Now its on a 4 foot mag antenna. When the outside ring touches the ant connector everything goes silent. The power supply is 12v @ 400mA. I will admit the system is odd, but it worked for a bit. Is it ok to use tv coax?

Melium

Ith the plastic case 19+. I had it on the tv ant with regular tv type coax. Now its on a mag mount antenna and still the same problem. The power is 12v 400mA. Is it ok to use regular coax?

gewecke

Banned
1. Ditch the cigarette lighter thingamabob and get a REAL 13.8 volt power supply capable of around 5 amps max. 2. then forget the coax & tv antenna and purchase a REAL 50' length of 50ohm cable and antenna designed for 27mhz.
After this you should hear stronger signals but the static may still be there due to that band.
DO NOT transmit on that tv antenna...unless you don't like the radio.
N9ZAS

Melium

I havent been transmitting, I usually dont on the antenna. Where can I find a cheap power supply? I checked radio shack, they dont sell em anymore.

gewecke

Banned
You could check a local truck stop,they often have them. Also check your local land-mobile radio dealers?
N9ZAS

gewecke

Banned
Ok,maybe check your phone book too,under communications equipment? A power supply shouldn't be that hard to locate. Maybe the local classified ads too. A car battery would work in a pinch,but that's kind of sloppy!
N9ZAS

Melium

Yeah, id like something more permanent than the battery, I use this radio as my base. Any suggestions on how to get the 30ft tower to help me?

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Cobra "19Plus" help, loads of static

Okay my friend, I think N9ZAS & I have gone as far as we could with this, so here are some CB radio specialty shops in your area with knowlegable people who can help you with any questions you have. First off, your radio is designated the Cobra model 19DX which is discontinued, all of the following proprietors suggest that you bring it in for a bench check, personally for what they will probably charge you as opposed to it's present value, I'd just purchase a new radio, however that's entirely up to you, if you have a nostalgic attachment to it. Is this it?

Cobra CB Radios

CB Radios Plus or Discount Electronics
541669 US Hwy 1
Callahan, Fl. 32011
904-879-6141
904-879-9044
CB Radios, Antennas and Accessories - CB Radios Plus

Aces CB Shop
33 Lane South
Jacksonville, Fl. 32254
904-783-4747
Electronic & Communication Services - Repair & Installation | Middleburg, FL

High Tech CB Shop
8391 US 301 South
Jacksonville, Fl. 32234
904-289-7900
No website

Good luck & please let us know what they set you up with.

FLRAILMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.