• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 2000 GTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcraig1991

Does anyone know what size size the cobra 2000 gtl uses? It says 250A 4V but it appears they come in different lengths. Can anyone help? Always wanted to get into CB and recently inherited a bunch of vintage radios.

kingcraig1991

Here's the the thing. The radio powers on. All lights and nobs work. The only thing is there is no sound. I know the speakers work because I tested them on another radio. Could that fuse be the problem? It probably hasn't been changed in 20+ years. I appreciate all of your replies. Excited to get into cb

PACNWDude

It could be as simple as not having a working microphone connected. That is how I bought my most recent Cobra 2000 GTL. Everything appeared to work, but no audio, and people walked away not knowing that a mic needed to be connected. I knew that I could use a pocket knife to short the mic connectors to test TX/RX and audio. Bought the radio cheap, and then bought a five to four pin Cobra compatible adapter, as I had several four pin mics for Cobra 29 LTD Classic mobiles. Plug in the adapter, a known good working mic, and audio works fine.

With the Cobra 2000 GTL, it also has a selector switch for 1,2, or both speakers, while only usually shipping with one speaker.

kingcraig1991

I tried 2 different golden eagle mics and nothing. The signal meter doesn't move. Shouldn't it to indicate I'm a receiving?

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
Have you tried An external antenna ?
My next door neighbor had this issue where the antenna cable was not good but he could hear me on the air
so he assumed the antenna was good.

Just because the microphone plugs in does not mean its wired for the Cobra 2000.
As with my Cobra 148 it needs the RX pin grounded on the microphone to work.
This is done through the switch in the microphone.1634131808937.png

The inline fuse Is a protective circuit feeding the Voltage and current - Seeing the radio turns on its not the fuse.

Pete N1EXA

Last edited:

kingcraig1991

I checked the mic. It should be compatible. Changed the battery in the mic. I'm using a cheap magnetic cb antenna. So heres my next question. Do I take it to a repair shop? Or just sell it as is on eBay and buy a new base station with a decent antenna? I don't want to put alot of money into the radio.

KEWB-N1EXA

I checked the mic. It should be compatible. Changed the battery in the mic. I'm using a cheap magnetic cb antenna. So heres my next question. Do I take it to a repair shop? Or just sell it as is on eBay and buy a new base station with a decent antenna? I don't want to put alot of money into the radio.
Wanna Play Gota Pay !
What's your Budget?
A CB shop - Depends where you live and how much an hour they charge and that's if you can find one.
That and or you find an Elmore that has some CB or Ham technical skills.
Selling a Dead Duck on Ebay Is a no win Scenario !

Don't Beat yourself up for a Hobby - Start small and see if you have any interest.
Pete N1EXA

KEWB-N1EXA

Oh an that's Elmer - Love when your I phone Does Spell Check on you !

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Or just sell it as is on eBay and buy a new base station with a decent antenna?
If you are thinking in the "buy new" train of thought it may be a good idea to wait a short time and see what the new FM allocation does with the manufacturers. I don't think FM is going to cause a 1970's style resurgence for CB but I do think there is going to be a number of new models on the market, possibly even base station type units. Currently there is only one "base station" model and it is hard to find in stock. It is going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.