• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 29 LX Talk Back Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZigZag747

I just purchased the radio and installed it in replace of my Cobra 18WXSTII...Really like the radio and everything is working well just not sure about the low talk back volume. I noticed the issue when I first began going through all the functions of the radio, I turned the Var Knob for T Back on and could barely hear as I spoke into the mic...With the knob turn "full-on", I still could barely hear the talk back...I've only been able to find a few ref concerning this issue, one referred to a 1 cent resister placed in a certain location...Is this normal for the T Back to be so low or is my radio needing an adjustment? And if so what adjustment should I do...Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.

r/
Moonchild

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just use the radio without the talk back. ;)
You know what you sound like right?

n9zas

XTS3000

Talkback can be louder by adding a 1/2 watt 33-75ohm resistor in a certain spot. If you can take a photo of the solder side of the board, I can tell you where to put the resistor.

I agree the talkback is WAY to quiet.

Talkback can be handy to let you know if your mic audio is breaking up due to a back mic cord.

ZigZag747

rgr I'll have to take the radio out of the truck tonight, appreciate the assistance. Another feature I have found not much use for is the Delta Tune...I understand it's purpose but don't think there is much drift on the bands to need it...Was thinking about getting an echo board and control it from there.

ZigZag747

Sorry, quickest way for me to do this was grab the schematic, hope you can show me the location based off this JPG...Thanks again.

Attachments

• CORBA 29 LX.jpg
    CORBA 29 LX.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 9,939

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That's not the schematic, nor is it the underside of the board, it's the parts location diagram viewed from the top.

Volume is set low to avoid feedback. CBs have enough echo boxes, pings, beeps and noisemakers already without adding screeching and squealing to the mix. IMO the only thing talk back is good for is when there's nobody else to talk to so you don't get bored.

ZigZag747

Below is a photo of the board, solder side up...Alos just discovered that when I turn my talk back off my audio for the CB turns off also...so I decided to easter egg and plugged in an external speaker and was able to get audio which turned off when the Talk back was turned off also...So I decided for some reason to plug in to the PA and was astonished to hear truckers on the PA speaker even when I was in PA mode...Something tells me that I have a possible messy solder job that bleed over to another connector on the audio side (Thinking somewhere close to the PA and Ext Speaker connectors)...If anyone could ponder that for a min and shoot me some advice I'd be glad to T/S in that direction. Right now I need to get in to the Schematic's and make some calls to Cobra...

Attachments

• WP_001107.jpg
    WP_001107.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 7,682

ZigZag747

BTW this was purchased from a Pilot Truck stop in SC and was not modified nor was it purchased used...

ZigZag747

Found the issue

Ok...Cobra 29 LX is fine, issue was my old Cobra Power mic there was a ground in the mic between pin 1 and 4...I put the original mic back on and found everything worked as normal...Talk Back was restored speaker was louder now, no cross over on the PA...Did notice a hazy film on the back side of the circuit board which was whitish in color...I took some Isopropyl alcohol and an acid brush and cleaned up the back just to be sure. Did notice a few bad solder points also which I fixed up. Radio is working great now...Happy Days.

Status
Not open for further replies.