Cobra Electronics Unveils 2012 Two-Way Radio Lineup at International CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
LAS VEGAS, NV, Jan 09, 2012 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- 2012 INTERNATIONAL CES -- Cobra Electronics Corporation COBR +2.10% , a leading designer and marketer of award-winning automotive, mobile and consumer electronics, today announced its new 2012 lineup of two-way radios on the eve of the 2012 International CES show in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Cobra Electronics Unveils 2012 Two-Way Radio Lineup at International CES - MarketWatch

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Bubble packs

So what is really new about them? Seem to be the same bubble pack radios with over inflated milage. Or are they really going to offer something substantial?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Cobra needs to make them repeater capable. Otherwise its a waste of a lineup.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I don't know how they can claim a 35 mile range with these radios. They look more like glorified WX radios to me.

That seems like false advertising to me, not just on Cobras behalf, but of all companies that say they can go over a mile with simplex, uhf (or vhf murs for that matter), low wattage radios... even in the middle of a desert, how is it even possible to get that kind of range...

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
They don't sound like a big deal to me either (nothing new at least).

I have a Uniden set and a Midland set and I find them very useful in spite of the line-of-sight range. I use them in flat terrain and get reliable a couple of miles and for my purposes that is fine. I like them because the ones I have are tough, reliable and dirt cheap. I dropped one of the Unidens in the drink, I opened it up and air dried it for an hour and was back in business. Mine see a lot of use. I also keep a cheap pair in the trunk of each car with a set of lithium AAA's ready for each. I think the batteries cost more than the radios. They are a great addition to my emergency kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.