• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra HGM75 Powered Mic, Does it make a big difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Just wondering if anyone has personally tested this mic out and does it make that much of a difference? $24.95 isn't too bad considering a replacement mic runs around $15.00. I really can't stand the feel of the mic that came with my CB, feels hollow and cheap, looking for a nice replacement. I just don't want to have to keep replacing a 9V battery all the time. If anyone has this mic could you please let me know how it's working for you and how long does the batt last, thanks.

RayAir

Just wondering if anyone has personally tested this mic out and does it make that much of a difference? $24.95 isn't too bad considering a replacement mic runs around $15.00. I really can't stand the feel of the mic that came with my CB, feels hollow and cheap, looking for a nice replacement. I just don't want to have to keep replacing a 9V battery all the time. If anyone has this mic could you please let me know how it's working for you and how long does the batt last, thanks.

I would look for a used Astatic D104M6B on EBAY, etc.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you don't like replacing batteries "phantom power" may be supplied from the 12V bus in the rig itself. Of course this requires a small modification to the amplifier board and a bit of rewiring to run power through an unused conductor in the cord, something best left to a proper technician if you don't want to let the smoke escape. I did it with my Astatic TUG-9 stand, simple enough but not for the unfamiliar poking around in the dark. Oh and don't worry about the 9V or older 7.5V batteries, the circuits will handle 12V easily.

"I really can't stand the feel of the mic that came with my CB, feels hollow and cheap..."
That's because it is hollow and cheap, when it comes to CB rigs in particular a microphone is almost an afterthought. If you don't want to go for a "power mic" you really don't need there are plenty of more "professional" mics available. Back in my CB daze I used a Shure 404B dynamic PA mic rugged as all heck and has a solid, hefty feel to it and everybody just loved the clear, smooth sounding audio.

Now when I said you don't really need a power mic I meant it quite literally unless you have to shout into the stock mic to be heard. With a few cheap exceptions most rigs are designed and set up for 100% modulation using the mic supplied, anything more only leads to over modulation, distortion and splattering onto other channels. When finally adjusted so they sound halfway decent, closer examination reveals its output is the same as one without a preamp, kid you not.

Last edited:

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Astatic D104M6B.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks ya'll I'll look into getting this mic...Going to a friend of mine who has a box of used mics and we're going to swap them out and see what sounds the best for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.