• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra LTD 29 Stock Mic not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I just got a Cobra 29 LTD a couple days ago & I have it hooked up in my car with the antenna from my old CB radio. I went to test it out tonight with a friend who has a CB radio, and the radio didn't transmit at all with Dynamike off, and a real staticy cracked up signal with the Dynamike on max. Everytime I talk, the TX/RX light & ANT light both come on red.

SCPD

QRT
Check mic wiring that could be the cause but if it is new you could also check swr seeings the ant lite comes on

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Well, turned out the bad signal was the antenna. It works on my old scanner, but not this one. Got a new one & it sounds crystal clear. Still distorted on the PA output & I have no idea why, is the PA output amplified? Thanks

SCPD

QRT
the PA output is amplified by the audio chip so yes very little but it is maybe 2 - 5 watts say

The dynamike is your mic gain. If you are using a stock mic, turn the dynamike to about the 2 o'clock position, anymore and you will sound over-modulated(crackly/distorted). When in the PA mode, the dynamike acts as a volume for the PA. With the stock mic you need to hold it 6"-8" from your mouth, any closer and you will sound distorted. If you were to close to you buddy's car when you were testing it you could also sound distorted.

SCPD

QRT
Check your mike closely!

Some of the new CB use a condenser mike versus a dynamic mike and WILL NOT WORK RIGHT on an older Cobra 2x. I had a HM-73 and it did not sound right on an older Cobra 29. I opened it up to find a condenser mike "pill" and I had a 600 ohm dynamic element on the shelf I swapped it out for and BINGO! The transmitter came to life! Just make sure the mic is compatible regardless of what it says. yes a Corba mike may not work on a cobra radio for the above reason

Status
Not open for further replies.