• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra MicroTalk2 FRS 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
I have used several of these radios over the years for short range comms and they are great! Recently one of them has developed very low audio. Almost non-existent! I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and could suggest a solution? Is there a factory reset that might work?

Thanks.

K4EET

Chaplain
I have used several of these radios over the years for short range comms and they are great! Recently one of them has developed very low audio. Almost non-existent! I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and could suggest a solution? Is there a factory reset that might work?

Thanks.
When you say "very low audio", what audio are you talking about? Transmit audio or receive audio?

Agent_K

Nope! Checked the mic receptacle. Nothing in there. Afraid I’m going to have to open it up!
I had the same issue with one of mine. When you open it up, there is a deviation adjustment under the front cover. All I had to do was turn it slightly and the transmit audio was back to normal.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Nothing in the mic receptacle. Tried turning the deviation up and down...nothing. Might be time to "retire" this one?

Thanks for all the suggestions though!

n1das

Nothing in the mic receptacle. Tried turning the deviation up and down...nothing. Might be time to "retire" this one?

Thanks for all the suggestions though!

It might time to retire it and move on.

I stumbled across some FRS radios while surfing Retevis' site and found some based on a commercial design and have super long operating time and are USB-C chargeable. $40 for a pair on Amazon. I ordered some and now have 4 of them (2 pairs) to play with. They are built rugged, sound EXCELLENT, and go a LONG time on a charge with the 4400mAh battery.

This might be a good way to go if you want a rugged and simple no-frills FRS radio based on a commercial design instead of something designed to be another consumer grade FRS bubble pack. They appear to be a 2W 16 channel UHF commercial radio that was FRS'd.

RB17 thread in the Budget and Entry Level Transceivers forum:

Last edited:

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
It might time to retire it and move on.

I stumbled across some FRS radios while surfing Retevis' site and found some based on a commercial design and have super long operating time and are USB-C chargeable. $40 for a pair on Amazon. I ordered some and now have 4 of them (2 pairs) to play with. They are built rugged, sound EXCELLENT, and go a LONG time on a charge with the 4400mAh battery.

This might be a good way to go if you want a rugged and simple no-frills FRS radio based on a commercial design instead of something designed to be another consumer grade FRS bubble pack. They appear to be a 2W 16 channel UHF commercial radio that was FRS'd.

RB17 thread in the Budget and Entry Level Transceivers forum:
Thank you. I am currently running several different kinds. The voice scrambling option on these 250’s is nice to have. I’ve scooped a few from EBay “on the cheap!

n1das

The Retevis RB17 does have audio inversion scrambling. It is an unadvertised feature and can be enabled or disabled per channel in the CPS. I wonder how they got that one by the FCC, LOL. Maybe don't ask, don't tell. I have used the inversion scrambling feature with the RB17 just enough to verify that it works.

The RB17 also has audio companding which can be enabled or disabled per channel, to be compatible with the Motorola Talkabouts, or not. The compander is OFF by default on all channels.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
The Retevis RB17 does have audio inversion scrambling. It is an unadvertised feature and can be enabled or disabled per channel in the CPS. I wonder how they got that one by the FCC, LOL. Maybe don't ask, don't tell. I have used the inversion scrambling feature with the RB17 just enough to verify that it works.

The RB17 also has audio companding which can be enabled or disabled per channel, to be compatible with the Motorola Talkabouts, or not. The compander is OFF by default on all channels.
Great info! Thanks for sharing.

SuperG900

WG5ENE

It appears what's going on is that the FCC considers a radio for type acceptance for a particular radio service on as "as delivered" basis, as opposed to "capable of" with certain restrictions.

This means that the radio is preconfigured for usage on the service for which it is being certified (i.e GMRS) and that none of the radio's operational controls allow it to operate outside that service. From a practical standpoint this means a manufacturer (not you) can take a commercial radio and repurpose it for GMRS - even if all it needs to do is lock down the firmware. That's basically the situation here. Of course - the manufacturer must apply for and get acceptance from the FCC for it to be truly legal.

The summary observation is that the FCC isn't concerned that the radio can be repurposed using an external means such as CPS software.

Status
Not open for further replies.