• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra or galaxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManFish

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am soon going to be a certified law enforcement officer & was looking to get the infamous but rare Cobra 148F-GTL am/ssb mobile cb radio for my POV to assist motorist when off duty, then I heard about the Galaxy DX959 am/ssb mobile cb radio & I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Galaxy. Which would be the better performing radio? thanks in advance.

Manny

Attachments

• cobra%20148f.jpg
    cobra%20148f.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 4,991
  • 959closeup.gif
    959closeup.gif
    124.9 KB · Views: 4,509

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Cobra is built like a reliable brick and takes the rumbling and rattling and temperature humidly variations. That’s why it is preferred by truckers. Galaxy is much nicer to look at and may be tweaked for higher output but don’t look for rugged reliability. Keep in mind these radios may stay in the vehicle which sees a harsh environment . Galaxy looks more elegant. Cobra is more practical for mobile use.
It all comes down to quality in harness wiring, operation temp range of components, Durable jacks switches and meters. And compact size. Keep in mind while driving you can’t stair at your radio.
I would prefer Cobra myself and use an amp if you want more output for skip. Keep in mind you would have to increase your output 10 times to get one more S unit on the receivers end. A good antenna placed as high as possible is better that a few more watts. And if you peak the Galaxy a fair to poor mismatch will be easier to blow your finals.
Receiver sensitivity is important but not at the cost of poor signal to noise ratio or being swamped by strong signals. Cobra gets it right.
In my opinion.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
I don't know Galaxy.. But I've had a Cobra (139xlr) and won't hesitate getting another. Powerful, good sound and well built.

ManFish

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks for your very informative replies gentlemen, I guess it will be the Cobra then.

Manny

K4NNW

IF you can find a 148F, go for it. However, be prepared to pay.
That being said, I think I'll have to disagree with what the first Kenneth recommended. The only Cobra that I've used that's been anywhere near as good as a Galaxy was an old 146GTL. After having a couple Galaxy's, I doubt I'll buy another Cobra.

Allan_Love_Jr

I have been into Cobra CB Radios for many years now. I will not go for anything else. I've had damn good luck with my Cobra Radio over the years. I do agree that this Radio is built like a brick. Powerful indeed. I won't settle for anything else.

Oh BTW. This is my 666 post. I wish you all good luck :D LMFAO. Bye.

Redram4by

Hello and cool site.... was thinking about putting a radio back in the truck again so dug out the old stuff. 148f...G 959...G44....G77hml...couple foot warmers forgot i had that many. so the 148's are "rare" ? never ran it myself got it new and let my dad use it in his rig, cant remember if it lasted any longer then the rest he's had. i know i had the 77 in my truck for aleast 7 yrs and it is still loud and proud with road king mic and wilson 1000. old buddy is a radio wiz so its peaked and tweated but doesnt over mod. used to have alot of fun with those things but it seems like the popularity of radios comes in waves as last time i was on it was dead ...around here anyway.. have a good one guys..Im out

freqs

I have a older 148 from the mid 70's I think! my Uncle gave me before he died in the late 90's I have had some upgrades done on it but all in all works great. my dad has a Cobra 77x he got when I was a kid well early teens but this little radio works great and he can get 10 mile on channels with not much traffic he uses on all his trips all the time .

FP5107

Gaxlay DX 959

I have had my DX959 for 3 years & i am a Vol. with my lockel fire dept. & never had any proble with it at all
all i use on it is a willson 1000 & it tock clear to TX. from here on PA.

Nightshade

The 148GTL is still being sold (in a front-mount-mic version) to this day.

Well, when ya get it right the first time ya just keep on makin'em 'cause people still want the best they can get. IMO the 148GTL is a classic that is still at the top of the CB heap!

countryboy879

i had a cobra 148...it's a good radio.."built like a brick" but i like galaxy more with the big meter and a roger beep......the 148 after it got warm it started being stupid with scratchy audio had feedback ....

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
From my experience since the 1970's, I've always found Cobra to be the most durable and reliable radio. I've owned Panasonic, Royce, and several others; however, nothing has compared with the Cobra. I currently run a Cobra 25 Classic with a K40 antenna and microphone.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Go with Cobra

As a former owner of a Galaxy DX959, I would say go with the Cobra if it's going to be in the vehicle all the time. The Galaxy DX959 is known for having cold solder joint issues. I sold mine a while back for $150 to somebody. We had to send that Galaxy back 2 or 3 times to the factory to get the cold solder joint fixed. Have fun with it!

rmosier

I have the Galaxy DX959 and couldn't be happier. It's my 4th or 5th CB and the best I've used. What noone touched on is how important it is to not use the stock mic, but to buy a good noise canceling power microphone like the Astatic RED DEVIL. Makes all the difference while driving.

Astatic Road Devil Microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.