Cocke County NXDN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have a caller that said that the Sheriff in Cocke County has gone digital this week. She said she heard be using the same vendor (Land-Air) that Sevier County uses but is not sure. If so they might be going NXDN.

Something to check out if you are in the area.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't be all that surprised. Land Air has had a stranglehold on Seiver County's comms for a while now. Jefferson County joined their system recently also.

If that's the case and they are using Land Air, they might be on this tower that's not in the Database yet.

It could be that site, but I also recall seeing that Land Air had and 800MHz DMR site out that way also.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Just took a look at Land Air's callsigns and about 30 of their BEA044 Market area licenses for 450MHz are currently pending renewal.

JENKINS, MICHAEL H

I find it really annoying that ALL of Land Air's licenses are filed with Micheal Jenkin's as the licensee instead of the company name.

I also recall seeing that Land Air had and 800MHz DMR site out that way also.

As a correction, it is an IDAS type C system in Greene County.

Land Air Communications (850 MHz) Trunking System, Viking Mountain, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies

zachgallop

Jefferson County radios that were updated have some of the Cocke County Public Safety channels. All Cocke County Channels that were shared were analog except one channel. It was labeled as "COCKE FD 2." It is a nexedge channel and unencrypted. Unknown if it is simplex or a repeater. So they probably plan on going nexedge eventually, if they have not already. All the Sevier county digital channels that were shared were encrypted, both conventional and trunked. So if land air does their system, their channels probably will encrypted. They encrypted just about everything whether it is a conventional repeater, a trunking channel, or a simplex channel. My guess is Hamblen will also go to Land Air Trunking or nexedge conventional eventually because they have connections with Land Air.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The connections, are one or two men that run Land Air. Former LEO Comms guys with Sevier Co. Public Safety that run a tight little TN Mafia Good Old Boy game. They also have sites in Knox County and luckily never got their hooks in the Public Safety guys there so Knox stayed mostly "pure" in this thing.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I've heard about some of their shenanigans before and about how they shafted Sevier County with the current NXDN system.
They locked up Sevier way before then... Land Air has had them under thumb for well over 20 years as they had the contract before they converted the LTR to NexEDGE. In the beginning the main guys were still with SCSO while also having LAC and doing "Consulting" work..... You see where that leads.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
In the beginning the main guys were still with SCSO while also having LAC and doing "Consulting" work.....
There's the problem. . . I'd NEVER hire an employee to do consulting work on the side.

IMHO If they want to work for you as a consultant they shouldn't be an employee.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Maybe one day if and when Sevier gets a whole new leadership, and maybe some more smarts, LAC will get told go kick rocks. Still waiting for them to actually build out the new P25 system that they have a contract and all for. Though with it still being the same "Good Ole Boy" system in place, if it happens, it will be full time E too, though they will have ISSI and such with TACN after the big fiasco with the big fire couple of years ago. They caught some heat from State of TN over that, so we will see. Meanwhile say goodbye to scanning in every county LAC has in its clutches.

n4yek

Cocke county has gone NXDN. They are using there normal frequency 460.100, they have had the ability to do digital for a while but just recently switch over to it.
My guess is when Land Air gets the other tower locations going, they will switch over to that system and be part of the Land Air NXDN trunk system that currently covers Sevier and Jefferson counties.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
The connections, are one or two men that run Land Air. Former LEO Comms guys with Sevier Co. Public Safety that run a tight little TN Mafia Good Old Boy game. They also have sites in Knox County and luckily never got their hooks in the Public Safety guys there so Knox stayed mostly "pure" in this thing.

That almost happened. in the 90's the guy over Knox County Sheriff's radio stuff wanted to learn how to fly a helicopter; that got him into a few circles that got him into sevier county, and last I heard he's still up there doing... something, what, I don't know. Knoxville City and UTPD (and now, Halls, I suppose) never really had a chance, once analog trunking happened they've just been along for the ride, I suppose.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
There was a Jenkins back in the late 70s who got a job in Sevier S.O as a detective after being a photographer with WATE. I think he was a direct hire at the pleasure of Carmen Townsend. I wonder if that's related

Status
Not open for further replies.