Cocoa Unit IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Does anyone in the Brevard neighborhood know why Cocoa's unit IDs (other than dispatch) won't display on the 436HP? I travel over a wide portion of the state and this is the first agency I've encountered that refuses to give up UIDs. Are their radios that ancient?

kf4sek

Does anyone in the Brevard neighborhood know why Cocoa's unit IDs (other than dispatch) won't display on the 436HP? I travel over a wide portion of the state and this is the first agency I've encountered that refuses to give up UIDs. Are their radios that ancient?

I have never noticed before. Next time I am back in Cocoa, I will see if I get the same result and get back to you. Just a question out of curiosity... What simulcast cell do you monitor?

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
It's really bizarre, they're the only agency that I've seen do this. Lakeland FD on Phase II is reluctant to give up UIDs, but I've managed to catch a few. I've had ZERO luck with Cocoa. At last count, I've got 769 Brevard UIDs - NONE of them are Cocoa.

The only thing that I could think of was to try both NFM and FM modulation, and it doesn't make any difference. I don't know what else to try.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Was in Brevard again this morning, recorded over an hour's worth of Cocoa PD, with no UID showing except the dispatch console (117). Aggravating.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Was in Brevard again this morning, recorded over an hour's worth of Cocoa PD, with no UID showing except the dispatch console (117). Aggravating.

When I get home I'll check mine out and see what I've got with my 436. I'm in between the South/North Simulcast line of demarcation so need to see which site they're going out on and sit on Cocoa's department

kf4sek

Sorry for the late reply. My scanner displays the UIDs but they are really slow at displaying. That is on the 436HP. I know when I still had the PRO-106, I could adjust the EDACS unmute timing, all the way to the point of hearing the channel grant data streams. Never missed a UID with that one. It seems like the Uniden scanners cannot be adjusted so the default unmute timing on them might be just long enough to be missing the UIDs of the officers. I do, like Bolt, always see the dispatch console(s) UIDs. When I had my Harris P7100, it always displayed the UIDs without fail, as Elroy stated.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the late reply. My scanner displays the UIDs but they are really slow at displaying. That is on the 436HP. I know when I still had the PRO-106, I could adjust the EDACS unmute timing, all the way to the point of hearing the channel grant data streams. Never missed a UID with that one. It seems like the Uniden scanners cannot be adjusted so the default unmute timing on them might be just long enough to be missing the UIDs of the officers. I do, like Bolt, always see the dispatch console(s) UIDs. When I had my Harris P7100, it always displayed the UIDs without fail, as Elroy stated.

Seeing the same behavior on my end as well. The unmute is just ever so slightly dragging and missing the UID. Dispatch consoles I get, no problem. Subscriber units don't hold the same to be true

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Why is this (for me) happening with just CPD? I do not have this issue with the rest of the county. Just Cocoa.

The unmute lags for virtually every system I monitor. Don't understand why it would affect Cocoa differently.

TDR-94

The actual radios will occasionally miss the UID's when scanning. I never noticed it happening until after the simulcast switchover.It could be the data stream not always getting through properly,due to possible multi-path.

Just a guess...

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'd also be inclined to think your problem relates to the linear simulcast nature of the system now. It's great for system radios, which were designed for that, but scanners, not so much.

If you get close enough to a specific site tower that there's no doubt it's captured your receiver, I'll bet that you won't be having any problems picking up IDs.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I still don't understand how this problem has been confined to just this one agency. I have a P7100 programmed for my neck of the woods, but I enjoy harvesting UIDs from the rest of the state with the 436HP. It just refuses to reveal Cocoa PD (and only Cocoa) IDs for some reason. I can come from Orlando on 528, go to Port Canaveral, and exit the range of the North site on southbound I-95 and will never get a single CPD ID except for the dispatch console.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'd imagine it's because around Cocoa, the signal strengths from the towers that comprise the north cell are probably at just the right relative levels to cause problems with the less selective (compared to Harris radios) receiver in your scanner. Your scanner was not designed to operate in a linear simulcast environment.

To confirm this, go outside the north cell's area of overlapping coverage. Like down in to Melbourne, where you are almost certain to be hearing only the southernmost site in the north cell. Down there, you should be able to get Cocoa including with unit IDs.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I can come from Orlando on 528, go to Port Canaveral, and exit the range of the North site on southbound I-95 and will never get a single CPD ID except for the dispatch console.

Replace "site" above with "cell." I understand what you're saying about LSM, but location does not appear to be the issue with the way the scanner will reject any UID from a Cocoa unit. I've purposely held (locked) the scanner on the North cell and exited Brevard south via I-95 and it flat out won't give me Cocoa IDs.

TDR-94

I'd say then that it must have something to do with your specific scanner. Somethings just not jiving right between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.