• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Code Plug help for Saber RSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakerland

Hey all,

Some how I finally got my Saber RSS too work on my laptop in DOS. I tried it a few weeks ago and it seemed like the COM1 port wasnt working.

Well I finally got it to read tonight. I have a Saber I UHF, Saber II UHF and 3 Saber II VHF Securenet.

I was able to change the Saber I around a little, put in some FRS frequencis to test out and everything works out just fine.

I am more conserned about messing around with the Saber II because of the zones and other stuff. I messed one up already where I cant enter the chanel name.

So my question is this: How do I save a codeplug????

I have a floppy disk I start the program off by saber.exe.....It boots up and works fine. But when I try to save a codeplug, I get some error. So how should I set the archive folder. If that is the right folder, and how should I save the codeplug. I know the codeplug is radio and model specific.

On a side not, I need to order a new programming cable for my MT2000 now that I have DOS RSS working. The one I have now doesnt seem to work, Even in CPS with my MTS2000

Thank you

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Its better to run the saber off the hard drive than the disk, Then create a directory on the hard drive such as C:/saber.archive.cpg or something of that nature it should show you in the RSS in the setup page under computer settings,

wdatkinson

Step one in programming any radio, should be to save a copy of a codeplug once you've read it with RSS/CPS.

Zones can be confusing, but think of it like a spreadsheet. The zone names are the names of the columns and the channel names are the row names under each specific column.

Also, channel information (frequency, tone info, and other options are configured in one place. Then you need to go to zone/channel assignment to name the channel and put it in a specific group.

I have four different Saber's across UHF and VHF. I'd be happy to take a look at a code plug for you, if you think you have one that is hosed.

rakerland

Thank you for your replies

I have my Saber RSS folder saved on my desktop in windows. But when I go into DOS Mode, I cant figure out the path to load the RSS via the saved folder in windows.

I understand zones and channels and PL tones and such.

Im slowly figuring out the RSS and the different options. Lots of different options for me too choose from.

Im still having trouble with saving the codeplug.

FFPM571 posted "C:/saber.archive.cpg or something of that nature" under the archive section under setup. Would that be the same place where the RSS should be saved under windows?

Would changing the saber.exe to install.exe install it to the hard drive like my MTSX RSS??? Because now when I click on saber.exe it opens it instantly, unlike the MTSX which prompted me to install at a location.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Easiest thing is to put all your RSS/CPS under a directory called MRSS. Once you do that, then under each directory, put a /Archive.

Can't go wrong with Sabers - I've got several and they are like solid rocks!

rakerland

Can't go wrong with Sabers - I've got several and they are like solid rocks!

I agree.

I will set up a directory when I get home tonight. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Thanks for your previous reply on another post. I was able to get a slower and older computer that works for my Saber. Now just to get a cable for my MTS200 and another for my Spectra

RKG

I hope you are running Saber RSS under native DOS, not a so-called DOS Window under Windows.

If so and you understand the issues, please excuse my intervention.

Otherwise, you might want to search around Batlabs for some discussions on this issue. In general, older Motorola RSS packages require direct software control of the UART chip, which DOS discourages but permits if required but which Windows does not permit. Executing a write to a radio from RSS running under a DOS Window in Windows can result in a corrupted radio.

rakerland

I run the RSS in native DOS. Not windows. The radio reads and writes fine. I just cant save yet. I will try to spend more time more time on it this weekend.

Thank you

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Make sure when that after you set up your directories, bring up the RSS and then go to the setup screen and make sure you put in your pathways so the program will know where to save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.