• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Code Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

W7JMG

I am new to LMR. I have a job which is going to require me to program Motorola codeplugs. This is new territory for me. Can someone point me to some detailed information so I can get up to speed on what is involved, what all the settings are and such. My supervisor was asking me questions regarding things like side-band settings and such. I know what side-bands and the like but had no clue as to how or why they would be set on a LMR.

I am doing research on P25 based radio and getting smart on that. I have an extra class amateur radio licence as well as a Network engineer so I understand digital communications. I just am looking for some detailed reading material on the Motorola configurations.

Thanks in advance.

David Gower
Amateur Extra, Commercial Novice :)

cmdrwill

" Motorola codeplugs. " a name given to programmable memory chips, IC's. That plugged into the radio providing frequency/channel information for the radio to operate.

Motorola codeplugs.and side-bands, now we ARE in trouble..........

jim202

I hate to ask this question, as it can really cause a problem. But by any chance do you even know what model family the radio is?

There is also a model number for the radio that can be found on the name tag on the radio. If it is a portable, the tag will be located under the battery. If it is a mobile, normally the tag will be located on the side or maybe even on the bottom of the radio.

It is important to know if this is a conventional radio or is this radio used on a trunking system.

If it is a trunking radio, you will need a systems key before you can program the radio. Who ever the radio systems manager is for the trunking system, is the person that controls the release of the software systems key.

A word of caution here. If you have never programmed a Motorola trunking radio, your in for a major and rude awaking. If the radio is not programed correctly, that radio could cause problems for the radio trunking system. Plus you need a whole bunch of information that has to be programmed into the radio. This is not something a first time programmer should even try alone. You need help from a person that can sit with your for a number of hours and walk you through all the steps.

You will also need the program cable to go between the radio and the computer. This is radio model dependent. So you need to have the correct cable to match the radio.

You can't program the radio without the programming software. The software will dictate what you will need for a computer. The software can only be obtained directly from Motorola. Normally when you purchase the software, it comes with a 3 year subscription. Motorola will sell you their current version of the software. But an older version may be used in the radio system. You will need to make sure the version of the software you obtain, matches what is being used for the other radios in the system.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Must be nice getting a job programming LMR radios with no knowledge of how to program Motorola radios.
Im about to look for a new job due to downsizing in the company i work for and have plenty of bench and programming experience, having worked at a 2-way shop for 8 years. Need an assistant?

Status
Not open for further replies.