Coded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok I'm very new to scanners so please be patient with me lol.
I'm using a Radio Shack Pro-97 to listen to my local police and it works great until they say switch to coded.Then I hear static with a loud buzz at the end of their tx.
Is this encrypted or just a digital signal?

Well thats no fun,I was hoping to have an excuse to buy a digital scanner.
Thanks for the quick reply.

KB9NLL

New London (Outagamie Co. WI) & Readfield (waupa
Whats the difference between digital and encrypted as far as listening in analog they sound the same to me (in analog). Also is there a way of finding out if someone has digital or has encrypted, like from the F.C.C., or do you have to assume till they use one or the other that they at least have one (Iv'e found that many places use both). Reason I ask Is because on the Pro-96 in order to recieve digital the frequency has to be in FM mode. So you can't use ctcss or dcs which causes interference to come through the squelch. On the major systems for small counties, and even first and secondary systems for major cities I've left them on FM.

KB1KBD

A digital signal can be decoded by a digital scanner. You'll hear the transmission the same as you do now in analog...there is more to that story but I'm not going there.

Anyway, an encrypted signal can not be decoded by current scanners. Some scanners like the BC-785D will display ENC instead of FM or P25 but you'll only hear harsh noise like listening to a digital signal on an analog scanner.

P25 systems use NAC codes which are the digital equivalent of CTCSS/DCS. The Pro-96 does not support NAC codes.

Most frequency listings will include a APCO or P25 to the listing that flags the use of digital. Some will also add a note that encryption is used. There is nothing in the FCC dB that tells what mode they use that I know of. Would be nice though.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
KB1KBD said:
P25 systems use NAC codes which are the digital equivalent of CTCSS/DCS. The Pro-96 does not support NAC codes.

You should also point out that a scanner does not actually need to support NACs.

KB1KBD said:
There is nothing in the FCC dB that tells what mode they use that I know of. Would be nice though.

What about the emission codes? They can give quite a bit of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.