COLDWATER, Mich. - County approves 911 radio bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
COLDWATER, Mich. -- In a 3-2 vote Tuesday, Branch County Commissioners voted to award a bid to upgrade the county’s emergency communications system to J&K Communication of Indiana for $8.2 million.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I have to laugh when politicians talk about technical stuff and try to sound like they know what they're talking about.
No, you won't be an island. Wow.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Mark Sanberg, of MPSCS, said the state has upgraded the state system and will go through with another upgrade in the near future from Phase 1 to Phase 2.

Hit_Factor

I wonder why they are using an Indiana based dealer.
I'm sure you are aware that Coldwater is very close to the Indiana border. Why do you wonder? MPSCS will still get their fees.

The dealer could be the "local" dealer. They may have a long standing relationship.

Maybe the dealer offered the best training in the Bahamas.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I'm sure you are aware that Coldwater is very close to the Indiana border. Why do you wonder? MPSCS will still get their fees.

The dealer could be the "local" dealer. They may have a long standing relationship.

But the article makes it sound like they're doing a stand-alone system, and NOT joining MPSCS. Sure, MPSCS isn't cheap, but if you want to be able to talk to adjacent counties....

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
Curious on a few things? How many tower sites? How many radios?
I am guessing that the County required minimum in building portable coverage specs and ACD Telecom assured J & K Communication met these?
So the 911 Board and County approved this project without funding and now must work on funding it?
What are these $1.2 million fees attached to monthly communication bills?

krokus

Premium Subscriber

Now it makes sense, they are not joining MPSCS. Going with a local vendor makes sense.

opps2016

Classic State of Michigan trying to get the community to pay for upgrading outside the area that’s really needed. The county should have negotiate a little harder and only upgraded there own county and had the talk groups only valid on there towers so there wouldn’t be a loading issue outside the county and still have the interop.

Second point is Kenwood is a mistake, I’ve had my share of battles with MOT but we have radios that are 16 plus years old that work well, but we are also in the process of a full APX upgrade.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Classic State of Michigan trying to get the community to pay for upgrading outside the area that’s really needed. The county should have negotiate a little harder and only upgraded there own county and had the talk groups only valid on there towers so there wouldn’t be a loading issue outside the county and still have the interop.
MPSCS has been upgrading sites that are county owned, at the state's expense.

Most counties are configured for most of their traffic to only be carried on in county sites, and one ring of sites around the county.

Obviously, if Branch County is not going to be part of MPSCS, all of that is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.