Colfax County DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that Colfax County Sheriff has a DMR frequency in the latest update to the RR database. Any intel on their plans for DMR?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I looked at their licences and they have DMR on all of their new stuff. I've heard it is encrypted too.

SCPD

QRT
Being budgets are tight, others shifting monies from one department to pay for something else but utilizes the equipment in this case communications, the modern cheapest deal was had when looking into digital capable equipment and what was offered at a "decent" price. Have to love county commissions, managements.

Sheriff, fire and county public works will be running dmr up there with mix of analog for while until the rest is to dmr.

Raton should be following suit down road as Colfax did to go digital. Basically it boiled down to getting rid of waris series/mix and match other equipment and going for what was affordable for modern age, at least what was offered in pricing and needs with a digital/analog capable system.

Since it is required vhf interops be in a analog zone calling someone next door isn't a issue since VLAW31 is required in the scan list.

SP locals had the trbo mounted in same time the change took place.

FWIW they do have ability to use the old lineup if needed in analog.

If you think that is odd since the state itself is going route of a p25 future and others around Colfax county going toward p25, another small town using waris series still has been considering nxdn in lower west NM while everyone around them has p25 capable equipment.

Way it's going lately the trunk drawers for NMSP will start to look like CHP trunk drawers.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
NMSP will need full size SUV's just to support the different radios needed! Too bad the state doesn't put their foot down and make these agencies purchase P25 radios if they do want digital!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
They actually could have got a deal with low tier p25 such as the low tier apx 1000 which is what really replaced the xts series for most applications.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I looked at their licences and they have DMR on all of their new stuff. I've heard it is encrypted too.
Hmmm....and I always thought that sort of paranoia was limited to certain departments in the center of the state (and Hobbs). Guess I'll hold off on the DMR upgrade until this all sorts itself out.

If they do go super secret squirrel, it's going to be a long quiet drive from Raton all the way down to Las Vegas.

SCPD

QRT
Unlike hobbs, colfax users and dispatcher can turn it off if they wanted to by a button. With budgets way they are you will not see many shift yet in the state. A few are wanting to go digital however waiting for various other entities to have equipment but isn't going to happen anytime this year specially since many got new kenwoods that are only analog in smaller towns. Othere may cough the monies up and go for it but those who are organized, have planning and a decent perain in contrip won't switch until everyone in the area has capability. Others jump gun rushing to use it. Many others want to stay analog and do not have any interest in digital and believe it or not anti encryption leaders, while the hardware exists they better not find a key loaded. Like everything else it varies where your are at. The last time hobbs had personnel at a meeting of various entities the known players were pushing and convincing others to utilize secure capabilities drawing the boggy man board, going into detail with numerous scenerios, or potential issues. Seems they up in Colfax jumped on it pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.