Colleton County P-25 complete and going encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
why would they go encrypted where they on p25 already i would hope ems and fire would stay in clear im not in that county but thats my worries with this change over its silly especially if you do it to your dispatch channel i understand other channles tho especially on sensative situations :(

KD5NOR

Social Media is the cause for encryption

Unfortunately with the rise of amateur social media "news" sites posting incomplete and inaccurate "local news" items based on what they hear or think they hear via scanner traffic, has cause public safety agencies to consider encryption as a viable option.

SCPD

QRT
Colleton County going encryption

Only thing I can say is that encryption is a sign of weakness enough said

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
The fact that their is no additional costs to go ENC also means those that already have the capable radio's may decide to go that route as well.

Unfortunately being in Lexington County we've been dealing with ENC dispatch for over a decade already. :-/

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Only thing I can say is that encryption is a sign of weakness enough said

Congrats - its because of people like you. There's nothing that says you have a RIGHT to hearing communications as they happen. Any FOIA or public records are RECORDS which means you can request them AFTER the incident has occurred.

Sorry, folks. But I am part of the team of people in this state trying to push encryption on as much as possible because we are sick of everything being broadcasted live over the internet.

llcook25

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden BCD325P2. If Colleton County SC fire rescue is encrypted, does this mean I cannot ever get them to come in? If so, very sad. I am not one of those people who posted information on social media. I listened because I have friends and family who are part of the emergency services. I guess our taxes pay for everything they have and use, but we are not allowed to listen like we used to in the good ole days.

mayerjj

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden BCD325P2. If Colleton County SC fire rescue is encrypted, does this mean I cannot ever get them to come in? If so, very sad. I am not one of those people who posted information on social media. I listened because I have friends and family who are part of the emergency services. I guess our taxes pay for everything they have and use, but we are not allowed to listen like we used to in the good ole days.

Sadly its a crap shoot anymore with encryption being included in the P25 user fees that each county / municipality pays for their radios. More and more are turning to encryption. I get the need for it for certain operations and information that doesn't need to be out in the open like SWAT events Hostage Situations large scale busts etc. I honestly just wish that the public airwaves for noon sensitive ops would remain open and public like they used to.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Sadly its a crap shoot anymore with encryption being included in the P25 user fees that each county / municipality pays for their radios. More and more are turning to encryption. I get the need for it for certain operations and information that doesn't need to be out in the open like SWAT events Hostage Situations large scale busts etc. I honestly just wish that the public airwaves for noon sensitive ops would remain open and public like they used to.

Except they’re not “public”. Public airwaves are those licensed by rule such as FRS, CB, Marine, and air band.

Palmetto and other agencies PAY for their licensing and coordination. They pay for that infrastructure and maintenance. For all intents and purposes to the FCC they are a private entity and can do with it as they wish. That is why they can encrypt.

I said this before and will say it again - why has anyone ever assumed they had a right to listen in? Just because previously it wasn’t encrypted for technology/money concerns? Phone calls between stations, callers, and units are not privy to being listened in to, nor is the mail coming to the department. Even though those are all part of “a public agency”.

NCIC105

Feed Provider
It is a sign of the times, there are reasons to move this way as perps have cell phones and have apps to listen to our scanners....If they are running from LEO, they can and will listen to our scanners to aid them in escape...

While I understand both sides of this argument, we truly do not have a right to the signal....I think when possible, we should start taking our feeds down once a pursuit begans. With that said I know some of us are at work and can't take it down...

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Ive always wanted an option to be able to log in and interrupt my feed online.
But i also believe to much credit is given to criminals.
I have talked to several offivers who have never seen a scanner in a criminals possession and none have had scanner app running or on their phone when it was inspected during the investigation.
One officer has 25 years with the dept and is eagerly waiting to retire. LOL i trust the man.
While i do think there could be bad guys with scanners or apps, i think its outweighed by the good intended public who listen and can be an extra set of ears and eyes for law enforcement.

Now Twitter. Thats where all the action is at.
Had an officer tell me he was in a situation where he was in a not so good neighborhood, someone snapped a pic of the squad car at the corner and fifteen minutes later groups of people were starting to show up thinking something had happened. All he was doing was paperwork. But the community was linked online. Encryption is going after the wrong crowd, it hurts the good folks who monitor and can help or who simply listen as a hobby.

rescuecomm

Not public? Why are they referred to as public safety frequencies? The fact is, law enforcement is sworn to uphold the laws of whatever agency that employes them. Nothing about serving the citizens or any scanner monitors of that area.

Ever hear of colateral damage?

Bob

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The spectrum is listed officially by the FCC as Land Mobile PRIVATE! The SERVICES USING the frequencies in this section include PUBLIC SAFETY. But those freqs are NOT PUBLIC. The systems are licensed to various entities and belong to those agencies to use as they license them. Not to John Q. Public. End of story.You as a scanner user may legally monitor the things broadcast to a certain point. If an user chooses to encrypt, then you may not legally in this country intercept that ENCRYPTED broadcast intentionally. ECPA as amended etc etc ... End of story.

Want it changed, then have 2/3 of the US House of Representatives, and 2/3 of the US Senate vote to change the way the FCC operates, and change the ECPA again. Then hope the POTUS signs it so it does not bounce back to go through it all again. Good luck on this endeavor.

Last edited by a moderator:

allend

Premium Subscriber
The scanning community as well as the hobby and the people that love this hobby do not have a fighting chance at this point. What's happening around the country and the globe is not going to get easier for anyone. The technology will continue to grow and more and more communications will go dark and silent. I know people get upset because they were lucky for the past twenty to thirty years of free listening. Those days have been over for some of us for the past 15 going on almost 20 years now.

The rest of the country and small cities and towns are finally upgrading and getting caught up to the rest of other agencies that never looked back one to two decades ago. The goal over a period of time is to get everything locked down over a period of time. Cities and counties will just chip away at the block and this will be it. This is the new normal and people will have to accept it and as well as the manufacturers that make these scanner radios. Slowly sales will drop over the next few years and decades to come. Not sure how these companies will be able to stay in business as First Net is coming online and broadband technology will keep growing.

There was a guy if people remember that owned "Grove Enterprises". He said years ago that this industry is a dying breed. Plus all of these systems will be inter woven together through internet and VOIP services. So enjoy each day one day at a time and be lucky that you have what you have for now. The days are ticking away slowly.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Leaving encryption aside for the moment, everyone who thinks that FCC allocated frequencies are private is wrong. ALL radio spectrum (TV,Radio,PLMR,Cell Phone,etc) is owned by the public as a natural resource, and is licensed for the public interest. Every license has printed on it that the licensee has no rights to the frequencies, and the FCC allows operation on it as a natural resource just like public lands licensing".

Getting back to "E", for special operations I can see that being done. For normal dispatch channels not so much, as the public does have an interest in knowing in what going on, as this not Russia or even Britain. Too bad that there are half baked people who think they are Walter Cronkite and get it wrong, I see that these same people when not being able to access PS radio channels actually making up stories to keep them feeling important.
Personally I believe it's more to cover the screw ups that happen and will continue to happen with "E" or not. It's just that now with every cell phone in the country being used as proof of what happened and most agencies don't like that. It's much easier to deny something happened without a recording and most PS agencies are finding that out. I am not going to call out individuals, since you know who you are and are just towing the company line in pushing "E". Fix the problems don't hide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.