Collier County EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFBURNS2

Monitoring is not a spectator sport.
The legacy 800 EDACS is not carrying any traffic this morning. The new P25 and EDACS had been patched. I do not know if this is permanent or temporary. Time will tell. 4/30/20

RFBURNS2

The control channel has been silent for two days I believe. It appears to me that the EDACS system has been deprecated.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I do not hear them any longer on VHF You may be able to hear on Site 32 the site at the 63 MM on I-75. I believe the signal just makes it to Weston. TG 129 dispatch w tone, 13005 Dispatch no tones. I pick up Monroe TRS here when band opens a bit. The KW site.

SirtifiedIdiot

Premium Subscriber
Franklin County - St Louis County Missouri
Interesting.. I was wondering if they had made the complete switch yet. I go down their every once in while and the EDACS system in my opinion was terrible. Glad they made the switch. Kinda sucks that they aren't transmitting VHF anymore cause I would normally program my pager to that since I had the 2-tone alerting for most stations that were in my area.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Kinda sucks that they aren't transmitting VHF anymore cause I would normally program my pager to that since I had the 2-tone alerting for most stations that were in my area.

Agreed. Since they already had the frequency licensed and coordinated it seems like a waste to abandon it for the additional expense and complexity of a trunked paging receiver. Salesmen FTW I guess.

ScubaJungle

Do you guys know if there are any plans for encryption? A lot of the remaining EDACS systems are on the verge of the switch to the new P25 systems, and Im wondering if there will be any significant differences when the switch is made (cough, cough, Pasco)

ScubaJungle

Crap. I see that now on the DB - looks like the whole SO went dark with the switch. So much for transparency. Not even dispatch?

Edit:
I hope that isnt the trend among all the counties/cities going to P25.
I just dont see why.. if it aint broke, dont fix it.
I'm unaware of a single issue related to non-enc systems that would've precipitated a reaction to go totally dark like that. Damn salesmen must be pushing it hard

SirtifiedIdiot

Premium Subscriber
Franklin County - St Louis County Missouri
Just got this from another forum

From the CCSO social media page:
As you know, the Collier County Sheriff’s Office strives to share as much information as possible with our community.

However, as a matter of officer safety our public safety radio traffic is now encrypted. This means individuals with police scanners or scanner apps will no longer hear CCSO radio traffic.

A growing number of agencies across the United States are turning to encrypted radio traffic.

Fire and EMS traffic will remain open on scanners in Collier County. In addition, the crime maps on our website, www.colliersheriff.org, are a great resource for the community. These maps pull information directly from our Computer-Aided Dispatch and they are now updated every hour. Also, the Pulse Point app empowers citizens to provide real-time life-saving assistance to victims of Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) and notifies them of other incidents such as brush fires, traffic crashes and road closures.

Encrypted radio traffic is going to be a change for all of us. Sheriff Rambosk has asked the Media Relations Bureau to continue to be as proactive as possible to ensure that CCSO posts information about newsworthy crime and safety related events that take place in our jurisdiction.

ScubaJungle

Just got this from another forum

From the CCSO social media page:
As you know, the Collier County Sheriff’s Office strives to share as much information as possible with our community.

However, as a matter of officer safety our public safety radio traffic is now encrypted. This means individuals with police scanners or scanner apps will no longer hear CCSO radio traffic.

A growing number of agencies across the United States are turning to encrypted radio traffic.

Fire and EMS traffic will remain open on scanners in Collier County. In addition, the crime maps on our website, www.colliersheriff.org, are a great resource for the community. These maps pull information directly from our Computer-Aided Dispatch and they are now updated every hour. Also, the Pulse Point app empowers citizens to provide real-time life-saving assistance to victims of Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) and notifies them of other incidents such as brush fires, traffic crashes and road closures.

Encrypted radio traffic is going to be a change for all of us. Sheriff Rambosk has asked the Media Relations Bureau to continue to be as proactive as possible to ensure that CCSO posts information about newsworthy crime and safety related events that take place in our jurisdiction.

Yep, that's the default line for justifying encryption these days. I understand investigations, but even dispatch? I think that the public has a legitimate right to know if there is a crime being committed down the block, or a bad accident, etc. If only there were more people, and more people with influence, that would give them a hard time about this.

RFBURNS2

Hold it now...The CCSO offers an app called pulse point. It shows real time fire and EMS runs. This includes location and units on the box . They also have a web app tied to the CAD that reports and maps most crime. They also use Twitter and Facebook. So it’s clearly something and not nothing.

ScubaJungle

Hold it now...The CCSO offers an app called pulse point. It shows real time fire and EMS runs. This includes location and units on the box . They also have a web app tied to the CAD that reports and maps most crime. They also use Twitter and Facebook. So it’s clearly something and not nothing.
I didnt know this - it is an effort, which is better than many places, I agree. The problem is, this makes it very easy to let them decide what the public sees and what they don't see, and I'm sure they have a switch they can flip if they dont want attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.