Collins R-392 Receiver tunning issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwdaley

I’m new here so if this is not the area I need to be please feel free to point me in the right direction. I have had my Collins 392 receiver for about 13 years. My uncle gave it to me when I was a kid and he has since passed... along with his knowledge. I have the field manual and the technicians repair/ maintenance manual (both original). I've made about 3 moves with the receiver and during this last one something happened to it. :S. The issue I am having with it is that the Megacycle control does not turn all the gears that it needs to. The position Indicator on the back does not move when I turn the MC knob. I dug in a little farther and found that the gear that is attached to the position indicator shaft was loose. So I tightened it up and lubricated everything to spec and it is still not engaging like it is supposed to. I can take a flathead and adjust the MC by turning the position indicator on the back and tune in AM radio stations (so my radio is functioning, just not the mechanical aspect of it.). I have searched all over the net and called tons of places throughout Texas trying to find someone who has once worked on these guys. I’m finding out that there are few still around. I work for the National Guard and have taken it over to the guys in the comms shop but that was like showing them a walking talking dinosaur, they had no clue how to even begin working on it. If ANYONE has any knowledge about it or knows where I can buy parts for the mechanical end please HELP a fella out. I also have a few PRC-77's if anyone is interested. Thank yall for your time and have a great day.

dak4482

R-392

There are numerous places you can acquire the manuals for the R-392. I've seen them on e-bay, in flea markets and all over the Dayton Hamvention. The alignment procedure for the mechanical system in these manuals is VERY detailed and complete. (I have all the manuals for the R-390) I'm sure the pertinent maintenance manual would help you solve your problem. You probably would also need a frequency synthesizer and scope to complete the alignment as the mechanical and electrical systems are closely inter-related when it comes to alignment/repair. They also have very detailed photos and a COMPLETE parts list for the radio. There is also a "Collins Collector Assoc." group that I've seen at Dayton Their URL is Collinsradio. They have a user manual for the radio that is 220+ pages that has a pretty good alignment section in it though I'm not sure this is the complete maintenance manual. It's available for direct download from their site for free. If they cant help you nobody can lol.

Hope this helps

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.