Colo DTRS 4035

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd970

I had some encrypted activity on 4035. There's nothing on the Colorado database page about this talkgroup but it's in between FCPD and Loveland PD.

Any ideas?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
skipshark773 said:
4035 is encrypted all the time. I believe that it is used by the Northern Colorado Drug Task Force and other CID units.

Correct it's a good one to keep locked out.

Jim<

Spud

Previously listed

jimmnn said:
Correct it's a good one to keep locked out.

Jim<

RR used to have it listed as one of the Ft Collins PD talkgroups, but even back then it was continuously encripted. It is active with encripted digital quite frequently on the Horsetooth site and very often it is linked to the Denver metro sites like Lookout, Squaw, Thorodin, etc at the same time.

The spud.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
jd970 said:
Shouldn't we add this talk group and all other known encrypted ones to the database? Minnesota seems to have them.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=3508

There are very few encrypted talk groups on the Colorado system and we have always maintained a policy of not posting any sensitive TG's encrypted or open that could possibly influence officer safety.

Jim<

jd970

RR Colorado DTRS Database Censored?

jimmnn said:
There are very few encrypted talk groups on the Colorado system and we have always maintained a policy of not posting any sensitive TG's encrypted or open that could possibly influence officer safety.

Jim<

I&#8217;m not trying to ruffle any feathers or imply that I don&#8217;t hold our peace offers' safety in high regard. So, whoever is in charge of the database, I hope you don&#8217;t take anything personal.

From what I understand, we&#8217;re basically censoring the database for known talk groups that others have tediously scanned and located? What ever happened to the good ol&#8217; days of &#8220;Freedom of Information?&#8221;

Just my 2 cents, whatever it&#8217;s worth.

Jay

Last edited:

rfburns

Why post an encrypted TG that will just pollute the database? Too many people use the RR database info who don't have a clue about how their scanner works. Someone will put 4035 in their scanner. Then they will post here or on PRO-95 or wherever wanting help with their radio and wanting to know why it broke after they put in a new TG. They'll say I put this new TG in my radio and now it stops on that TG all the time and makes a horid noise. Can you help me fix my radio, come over to my house and I'll even give you a cup of coffee to fix it. Just leave it out of the database and don't confuse the appliance operators who don't even open the user's manual.

jd970

rfburns said:
Why post an encrypted TG that will just pollute the database? Too many people use the RR database info who don't have a clue about how their scanner works. Someone will put 4035 in their scanner. Then they will post here or on PRO-95 or wherever wanting help with their radio and wanting to know why it broke after they put in a new TG. They'll say I put this new TG in my radio and now it stops on that TG all the time and makes a horid noise. Can you help me fix my radio, come over to my house and I'll even give you a cup of coffee to fix it. Just leave it out of the database and don't confuse the appliance operators who don't even open the user's manual.

Do you think putting a notation of (Encrypted) next to the description would correct the ambiguity of what’s a standard channel and what’s encrypted? I guess that a majority of scanner owners would understand in quick hurry what Encrypted meant in context to the talk group listing after they heard a few transmissions.

Since there's only a few channels, shouldn't polute too bad. Maybe we could put a new table on the database page, like we did with the Unknown talk groups.

Just an idea.

Jay

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
jd970 said:
Do you think putting a notation of (Encrypted) next to the description would correct the ambiguity of what’s a standard channel and what’s encrypted? I guess that a majority of scanner owners would understand in quick hurry what Encrypted meant in context to the talk group listing after they heard a few transmissions.

Since there's only a few channels, shouldn't polute too bad. Maybe we could put a new table on the database page, like we did with the Unknown talk groups. Jay

Jay, I can't tell you the amount of people who bring back their scanners to RS because they "don't work." The majority of scanners owners DO NOT understand the difference between an open vs. encrypted TG. Its just easier not to put them into the DB.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
The other problem is how would that help the many folks that download directly into there scanner from the RR databases, most of the programming software offer that feature now for contributing members of RR.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.