• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Color of radios do you have a personal preference when a radio is black or yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

It seems to bother me when I see yellow colored motorola radios, I get that "kiddy toy vibe" for some reason. I understand in the workforce some fire/EMS agencies may issue their members yellow radios but the standard color is black. I've always liked black and black only. I think it gives it a professional look and tough look at the same time. For EMS/FD, everything on our belts tends to be black but then you have this yellow sized brick against the dark colored uniforms...

So personal preference. If you were to buy a radio, would you buy yellow if the black was out of stock or would you wait until the black radios are restocked. Lets say in about two weeks time.

Also does your agency issue yellow colored motorolas? Paid or volunteer, doesn't matter.

Luckily for me my Volly agency issue black radios to use, however some neighboring agencies have yellow.

Don't take this too serious, as I'm just curious on what other people think.

n5ims

The color yellow indicates that the radio is OK to be used in a hazardous environment where a normal radio may cause an explosion. It isn't so much about looks, it's about safety. They're yellow to make them easy to see that the radio is certified for use in an explosive environment so commanders or supervisors can prevent folks using the uncertified radios (aka black ones) from entering with them.

The intrinsically-safe radio is important for fire ground operation but they cost a bit more than the typical one. They also cost more to repair since whenever the case is opened it must be recertified for intrinsically-safe specifications. It sounds like your department was more worried about cost than your safety (or your job doesn't require you to be in that type of environment). Use extreme caution with the black radio around things like gas leaks or you may trigger an explosion.

Intrinsic safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is an Intrinsically Safe Radio?

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Not true....Yellow has nothing to do with being exclusively IS .The color It was an option.. All the Yellow are R models Ruggedized ie water resistant. R models were available in Yellow and or Black. IS radios have a green dot on the bottom of the radio label and have the IS rating label on the back of the radio. IS radios were available in both colors and need a IS rated battery to be compliant as an IS radio.

You do not need an IS radio to operate on a fireground

ResQguy

Meh
Two threads basically about the same thing on the same day?

A yellow radio means the radio is yellow. I have a fleet of over 2,000 XTS5000Rs and I guarantee you that at least 1,300 of them are yellow and NOT FM/IS approved. When they charge an extra $750 per radio for the green dots and "FM approved" labels, you carefully choose who gets assigned what device. Intrinsic safety is little about firegrounds and actually intended for mines and factories.

Also, kiss the Factory Mutual approval goodbye next year. TIA is taking over with a new standard. ANSI/TIA-4950 Requirements for Battery-Powered, Portable Land Mobile Radio Applications in Class I, II, and III, Division 1, Hazardous (Classified Locations)

Danny37

Actually this thread is about personal preference and information and the other thread is different and inquires information about the FDNY getting yellow xts portable radio which is new to me. That's why this thread is on this section and that thread is on NY forum.

Danny37

The color yellow indicates that the radio is OK to be used in a hazardous environment where a normal radio may cause an explosion. It isn't so much about looks, it's about safety. They're yellow to make them easy to see that the radio is certified for use in an explosive environment so commanders or supervisors can prevent folks using the uncertified radios (aka black ones) from entering with them.

The intrinsically-safe radio is important for fire ground operation but they cost a bit more than the typical one. They also cost more to repair since whenever the case is opened it must be recertified for intrinsically-safe specifications. It sounds like your department was more worried about cost than your safety (or your job doesn't require you to be in that type of environment). Use extreme caution with the black radio around things like gas leaks or you may trigger an explosion.

Intrinsic safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is an Intrinsically Safe Radio?

Actually because we are strictly EMS we have black radios. However the volly fire department in the county across has a combination of black and yellow radios. Yellow radios are EMT certified firemen, black is CFR firemen.

bosco836

So personal preference. If you were to buy a radio, would you buy yellow if the black was out of stock or would you wait until the black radios are restocked. Lets say in about two weeks time.

Also does your agency issue yellow colored motorolas? Paid or volunteer, doesn't matter.

My personal preference has always been black. Both agencies who I work with issue black radios; however, colour is secondary to me next to reliability.

If I were to purchase one, I think I'd likely wait for the black version. Nothing in my personal use is that urgent where any sort of delay might cause some substantial hardship.

Danny37

My personal preference has always been black. Both agencies who I work with issue black radios; however, colour is secondary to me next to reliability.

If I were to purchase one, I think I'd likely wait for the black version. Nothing in my personal use is that urgent where any sort of delay might cause some substantial hardship.

Exactly, if there's a reliability issue between both colors, then ofcourse go for reliability no matter what the color is. But the other day I went to a meeting and saw guys with yellow or red baofengs as their personal radios. They looked like toys to me.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The intrinsically safe radios can be gutted, the antenna and control openings plugged, and filled with your favorite adult beverage. It then becomes known as a "drinky-talkie". =)

LtDoc

For when I have had to use an HT, one that's highly visible would be an advantage. Harder to loose the @#$ thing. Other than that I honestly couldn't care less what color the thing was as long as it worked.
A pink one would certainly be a little hard to loose, you think? It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't refuse one if given to me...
- 'Doc

photoguy2

baofeng are toys
Yep, only good for throw away environments.

For when I have had to use an HT, one that's highly visible would be an advantage. Harder to loose the @#$ thing. Other than that I honestly couldn't care less what color the thing was as long as it worked.

He hit it on the head for me. It's about the visibility. If it's on my belt, yah black, looks more professional, and hides dirt better. BUT, when you are trying to dig it out of your pack on a moonless night, at 2 am, with no flashlight, the yellow really helps. I'm not in fire/EMS, but I know the guys at my local station LOVE the new bright APX7000s, they say the are "so F***ing easier to find", to quote the c-shift captain.

I notice this is in the HAM forum. When you are at a races event, and half the guys have the same freaking /\/\, the guy with the yellow one has a lot easier time finding his radio on the table.

I'm actually thinking of trying to spray paint a jedi case yellow, or green, to have one for the dark.

Matt
KJ6PNN

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
All of our XTS5000rs are black, but everyone has a different colored bezel. Mine is reflective blue.

DisasterGuy

I am not sure why this is in the amateur forum but I can tell you that I order the same radio in four different colors (black/black, black/grey, black/yellow and black/green) depending on the user.

Attachments

• xg-75groupallcolors.jpg
    xg-75groupallcolors.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,079

Danny37

I am not sure why this is in the amateur forum but I can tell you that I order the same radio in four different colors (black/black, black/grey, black/yellow and black/green) depending on the user.

What brand is that? I can't make out the name from the pic, it's a bit blurry.

Danny37

I don't know if I posted this in the wrong forum because it also apply for ham radios as they come in different colors as well. Like those silver yaesu radios, they look pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.