Colorado forum Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren57

Hello all.
New to the site. I live outside the Brighton area.
Look foreword to being on the site. Haven't used a scanner in years, but since I've retired I thought I would start again. Always enjoyed kit...
Purchased a new Uniden BCD396XT and can use all the help I can get!!!

tinslep

Premium Subscriber
Hi from Littleton!

I recently became re-interested in public service scanner listening because my daughter became a dispatcher. Most of my previous listening was in the 60's and 70's first using a Juliette AM/FM/PS radio. Later I had a primitive digital radio that you programmed by punching 1's and 0's into the front panel from a book that listed each frequency. I don't remember the brand of that but it worked pretty well. I even built a Heathkit scanner in the early 80's and also had a Regency scanner for a while.

You can imagine my surprise when I started researching new scanners for the P25 systems. Nothing made sense to me for a while. I bought a couple Unidens and ended up taking them back out of frustration. It was not so much the radios fault, but I am Apple only and could not program them without a Windows computer.

Finally borrowed a old Vista computer and tried again with a Pro-197. This time I had success. Then I probably got one of the last new Pro-106's from Amazon and bought Parallels to install Vista on my Mac. Now I am a happy camper and have 18 of the 21 Scan Lists programmed. I use the ARC500 software.

Since I live in Littleton here are how I have my Scan Lists set up:

1 Douglas County Sheriff and Fire
2 Douglas County Sheriff
3 Douglas County Fire
4 Littleton Public Schools
5 Littleton Fire
6 Jeffco Sheriff
7 Jeffco R&B and Open Space
8 CSP
9 Littleton Police
10 Lakewood and West Metro Fire
11 Arapahoe Sheriff and Metcom Fire
12 Denver Police and Fire
13 Denver International Airport
14 Media
15 Centennial Airport
16 Rocky Mountain Airport (Jeffco)
17 Elbert County
18 Medical Helicopters

This set up works well for me and allows my to hear my daughter when she is working. It was also interesting to hear the response by the different agencies to the recent Arapahoe High School tragedy.

I appreciate the work done to get and keep the Colorado databases up to date!

Phil

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Hello all.
Look foreword to being on the site. Haven't used a scanner in years, but since I've retired I thought I would start again. Always enjoyed kit...
Purchased my first Uniden unit (same one) not long back, and have landed on Freescan as my programming tool of choice - so far. If you plan to be mobile, be advised that with a serial GPS puck, Freescan can be used to set up your radio so that it only receives calls in your immediate locale (ala the Home Patrol units). I'd been a GRE/RS guy for quite some time, and had been using the Star software (e.g., Win96 and Win500), but he doesn't support these Uniden radios.

You can find the software here: Downloads - Sixspot Software

Steve2003

Never chimed in on this thread but figured now is the time:

Name: Steve

Scanners:
  • Radio Shack Pro-96
  • Uniden BCD396T
  • GRE PSR-800
  • GRE PSR-500
  • Uniden BCD996XT
  • Uniden Home Patrol w/ Extreme Upgrade
  • Uniden BC780XLT
  • Radio Shack Pro-197
  • Various SDR dongles
  • Uniden BCD536HP (pre ordered)

I am your typical techie and use most of these scanners with the following software:
  • Pro96Com
  • Unitrunker
  • SDR# (for SDR Dongles)
  • DSD (for listening to ProVoice)

It's been a while since we have had one of our scanner meetups. Perhaps we can set something up in late January or early February after the Uniden scanners come out?

AD0GI

Ted in Breckenridge and using this post to test an app that I get promoted to install when visiting the forum from my phone. So far, I'm not a fan of the app.

I have been a ham for about 10 years and am a founding member of CO ARES Region 9 District 6.

Also a long time Breckenridge ski/snowboard instructor and Summit County Realtor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

JLM7424

Matt Here I,m in Ft.Lupton,Co Just north of Brighton i have Butel's ARC396 & ARC-XT pro and can help and Program 396 & 396Xt's and try to Explain use to some of those new to them in the Area just a Offer. not making money.

Cheers.

JLM7424

Hello all.
I,m in Fort Lupton could PC-Program it for you .

warren57

I,m in Fort Lupton could PC-Program it for you .

I had it programmed for Weld and Adams Counties when purchased from Scanner Master. I would like to add some things and verify exactly what they programmed.
I would be interested in getting together with you?
Wouldn't it be great if we could get a member in the Denver area to have a little hands on training session...
Thanks
Warren

edboy2josh

Hello from Pueblo Colorado

Good day!!!
My screen-name is edboy2josh.
Although new to the forum, I've used it for several years.
It looks as though there are only a few registered users in the area I live in, Pueblo, Colorado, but look forward to communicating with these folks to learn more about monitoring here.
Have a Great Day!!

renilyn

Hi all!

Well, after 20 something years of not getting near a scanner, I'm BACK! I'm really excited to get started again, as this was a hobby I kept up on from age 10 to my early 20s. I picked up a Uniden BC796D on the cheap to see if I was still interested. Good times!

I've read the manual twice and poked around the forums here for over a week and....... hair pulling, screaming, yelling and general chos erupted. Will I ever be able to fix this thing up to work?? lol Because, right now, I don't feel qualified to eat with utensils at this point - let alone program this salty device!

Anyway, Hi again Colorado and thanks Radio Reference!

Hi guys (and probably a few girls too).

Just got moved to Denver for my job and I am finding the mish-mash soup of the different agency radio systems -and their lingo- interesting to say the least.

I use test equipment and software to listen to the airwaves lately. Side effect of my government job. You would be surprised what you see when not looking at a scanner!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing everything there is out here in Broncos land.

Tim

gibson135

Hi.. many name's Jim. Some might have seen the question I posted yesterday regarding the use of a scanner in your car here in CO. I just moved here to Denver 6 months ago. Like many around here I do a lot of skiing and backpacking and outdoor stuff.

Have a good day!
Jim

nbdyspclk

Ken in unincorporated jeffco,536hp and have and still listen to everything of interest/uninteresting scanner traffic mainly Denver for the most unusual PD traffic and all others for small town drama

Akozub

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, first post here. Just passed my Tech exam three weeks ago. Have been a scanner lurker since the early 90's. Live in Aurora.

KC0FPY

First post.

Long time radio listener, starting by listening to my grandfather's 5 channel radio, then got an ancient Realistic Patrolman-5 one frequency at a time. I borrowed my brother's Regency HX1500 before getting a Bearcat BC100XLT, then a RadioShack Pro-43, -94 & finally a Pro-96, so I'm back into the trailing edge of scanning.

I grew up Littleton/Englewood and moved to Colorado Springs just after they went digital, so have been limited to mostly ham & weather bands, but now hope to listen to more.

warren57

Hi, I'm in Lochbuie. Have a Uniden 396XT. Bought it a couple years ago. Had it programmed by scanner master. Seems to work great. Have looked at the manual, but frankly, it's way above my head!!

Anyone around my area that would be willing to do some training?

I would appreciate it.

Warren

Last edited:

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I'm in Lochbuie. Have a Uniden 386XT. Bought it a couple years ago. Had it programmed by scanner master. Seems to work great. Have looked at the manual, but frankly, it's way above my head!!
Anyone around my area that would be willing to do some training?
I would appreciate it.
Warren
Own a Uniden, but haven't kept up with all of the numbers. You sure that's not a 396XT? If so, programming it manually is a train wreck. I suspect all of us who own these units are using software of one sort or another to make it easier.

For my own 396XT, I use Freescan, and the membership to RadioReference makes getting the source information into that software a WHOLE lot easier.

See here for Freescan download >> FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software
See here for Freescan manual >> FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

warren57

Ha ha, pushed the wrong key, yes a 396. Darn number keys are to close together.... Thanks for the info, I will check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.