Colorado forum Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

colopat

Hi all

Pat from Arvada here I have been listing to scanners myself since 1974 with my Dad's old scanner. Five scanners later I have a Pro-96 for about 2 years I listen to Arvada, Westy, Denver, Adams County,CSP and anybody else I could. But for some reason I cannot wrap my mind around the pro-96 and the past few months I have lost everything but Arvada and Westy. Trying to program it I just don't get it. I need to know which program is best to get to program it and where to get updated at.

Scan-Denver

Hi all

Pat from Arvada here I have been listing to scanners myself since 1974 with my Dad's old scanner. Five scanners later I have a Pro-96 for about 2 years I listen to Arvada, Westy, Denver, Adams County,CSP and anybody else I could. But for some reason I cannot wrap my mind around the pro-96 and the past few months I have lost everything but Arvada and Westy. Trying to program it I just don't get it. I need to know which program is best to get to program it and where to get updated at.
The reason you cannot listen to Denver, Lakewood, and West Metro is because they have turned on ESK and only a ESK capable scanner (GRE PSR 500/600 & Pro 106/197) will monitor those agencies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Pat, Your Pro-96 should still receive Westy, Arvada, Adams County, Jeffco, CSP etc if you are having trouble I would be happy to send you a metro area programming file, the control channels on DTRS did reband many months ago. Or better yet are you able to attend the spring scanner meeting in Parker this Sunday?

Jim<

n4rpd

Hi Pat,
make sure you are using the current copy of Win96. If you don't have it you can download it for free, but registering is a good thing, it's a good program and worth the cost.

Also, make sure you have a good PC to Radio cable too. I had a friend that bought the USB cable and for some reason it didn't work, but my serial cable did, strange.

Take care,
Rob N4RPD

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Hi all

Hi Pat! Like Jim said, try to come by the scanner meet this Sunday! If you can't make it, you can alway swing by my store and I will be more then happy to help you out in person.

jleverin

Hi my name is Jane, I'm down in Pueblo. Am a former EMT, now an RN for some years. I am a volunteer with the local MRC and a Skywarn storm spotter. Just became a licensed ham radio operator. I monitor mostly conventional frequencies in Pueblo, everything from public works to fire/police and AMR and railroad as well. Still need to get a radio that picks up the DTRS frequencies as we are gradually losing frequencies to ones I can't pick up with my Rat Shack scanners. I was going to pull the trigger and buy one that does like a PSR 500 but am now leaning towards buying myself a decent ham rig first. Am still eyeballing the Pro 106 but can't plunk down the $500 for it right now.

n4rpd

Hi Jane

Congrats on getting your ham ticket. You can probably find a used Pro-96 or Pro-2096 for $250-$300 on EBay, not too many out there yet, just a few. Mostly from people who have bought the newer radios from Rat Shack. I have both the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 and can listen to the state DTRS without a problem.

I have heard grumblings about a statewide upgrade that is going to change the digital protocol for the system, and I'm not sure what effect that will have on my ability to hear them. Maybe someone else in the forum can add something about that.

Take care and have fun.

Rob

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on getting your ham ticket. You can probably find a used Pro-96 or Pro-2096 for $250-$300 on EBay, not too many out there yet, just a few. Mostly from people who have bought the newer radios from Rat Shack. I have both the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 and can listen to the state DTRS without a problem.

I have heard grumblings about a statewide upgrade that is going to change the digital protocol for the system, and I'm not sure what effect that will have on my ability to hear them. Maybe someone else in the forum can add something about that.

Take care and have fun.

Rob

Jane and Rob might steer more towards the Pro-106 that you initially mentioned since most of the new Pueblo DTRS sites that are coming online use a 700MHz control channel so that would make the Pro-96/2096 series useless.

Jim<

wtk777

Hello All, Going to try to go Sunday. I've been scanning for several years and have a PRO-96 and a dead PRO-92. I do some ham radio and looking forward to meeting others to get some new tips on scanning Metro Denver

Bill
KI0FV

sking128

Hi, I'm Steve, and live in Colo Springs. I have been scanning since the mid '70s when my dad bought me a 4 CH crystal RS desktop scanner. I bought my first scanner in 1980 soon after I joined Cimarron Hills VFD. I have been purchasing RS scanners of various types since then. I currently use the PRO-96 and PRO-2096 for my main listening, and a PRO-76 for listening to Rail traffic. I will eventually upgrade to the Pro-106 an 197.

I mainly listen to PS stuff some DOW and DOT, also Rail.

Steve

batrastard

New to Denver area

Hi my name is Dwane,
Just moved to the Denver area about a month ago. I live in the Northglenn area.
I have a pro 96, pro 433 and a pro 164. I have been scanning for eight years.
Having a problem learning the EDACS and P25 systems.
Moved here from the Salt Lake county area of Utah.

wiredIG

Sorta New...

Hi All. Dan from Golden. I am running a 396T. Attempting to monitor DTRS and other west side freq's. Would anyone be willing to share their file? I am scanning and getting decent results, just dont know if I have set it up the right way to scan most efficiently/effectively. Thanks in advance for any help! Glad to be a part!

yotebuster

Premium Subscriber
Hi all Steve from Lakewood. I am scanning with a 396XT and listen to Lakewood PD and West Metro Fire. I like to listen to Denver when Lakewood gets slow, but I usually feel like I am missing out on something in Lakewood when I switch to Denver. People ask me all the time why I always have my scanner with me and on and I tell them "This is the most real and interesting entertainment you will ever find"

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
Doug here, retiring from active duty (US Navy) and relocating to Colorado Springs from FL this summer. Hobbies are vast and varied, scanner-wise, I have a PSR500 and PSR600. Interests are mil air, aviation, PS, etc.... not in that order....

what I am looking for is the primary site manager for cheyenne mountain.... i'm thinking a UHF Quantar needs to go on that hill......

Doug

P.S. Forum mod... shouldn't this thread be a sticky?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
P.S. Forum mod... shouldn't this thread be a sticky?

Hi Doug. We used to have this thread as a sticky but un-suck it because it seems that we were having too many sticky's. Seems that having a bunch of them causes them to lose their attention getting ability.

That's why we have one main sticky, and within that thread we put a link to this thread.

P.S. Congrats on your retirement and welcome to Colorado!

Warbirdhunter

Hi Pat! Like Jim said, try to come by the scanner meet this Sunday! If you can't make it, you can alway swing by my store and I will be more then happy to help you out in person.

Welcome Pat. You'll have to excuse Eric, he's trying to become a pilot and is lost with out a tower telling him where to go. The meet is in July :), not this weekend. But it's a great place to meet some great people here in Colorado. And a great place to pick up scanner files.

Ters_Guy

Hey all,

Great to see some familiar names again since scan colorado! The name here is Jim i reside in Colorado Springs and primarily listen to El Paso County radio traffic. I sure miss the admin box on the old scan site and i am still getting used to this for sure. Also an amateur radio operator and my call is N0YTT and you can find me on 147.495, 147.570 simplex and 146.970 repeater especially during the SKYWARN nets. Hope to get to chat with some of you folks. J

Yaesu FT-757GX
Yaesu FT-5100
Alinco DJ-140T
Alinco DJ-582T
Icom T7H
Uniden BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.