Colorado forum Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0OXD

Clint here, living in Adams County. I monitor Adams (FRCC), Boulder Douglas, Jefco and MARC. I'm in sort of a valley here so Thorodin isn't the best reception, but I get good results from Smokey Hill.
What valley could you be where you can't receive THORODIN?? :eek:

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

Mxmech

Hey all, Tim here in El Paso county. Just started playing around with a small handheld ham. I have found some amateur freqs here on radio reference, and a few other freqs that i know of for my work. But nothing exciting... Anyone know of any good freqs to listen to. I am hoping to get my tech here soon so i can start keying up some conversations.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Glad to Be Here

My name is Ken, moved out here a few years ago from NJ.

I was a volunteer firefighter, chief officer for a suburban department in Northwestern NJ. My dad was a firefighter and it was natural that I joined when I was 16 as a "Junior Firefighter" in 1986. Served all the ranks over the 20 years I was there. Highlights from my time there: I was in the officer seat for our response to the 911 attack in NYC but got turned around on the way there. Also responded to Hurricane Katrina with the NJSP Decon Task Force.

At the same time, I was a firefighter and eventually a District Warden with the NJ Forest Fire Service. Yes, we have forests and woods. My territory included a section of the Appalachian Trail and National Park Service lands in Northwestern NJ. We dug a lot of handline and drip-torch work.. I also was deployed with Type IIA handcrews a bunch of times to fight fire in MT, UT, ID and OR. Was a great experience and I loved the western US.

I also worked the "Catfish Firetower" on the Appalachian Trail. Great experience!

So, here I am. I moved to Uninc Arapahoe and love CO.

I listen on a bunch of different Uniden Scanners, I have a great "fire tower" view from the Tech Center looking out towards the mountains and a good stretch of I25. So, if you need to triangulate a smoke, give me a call! (No joke, I have binoculars, a compass and a map!) No Osborne firefinder, but I'll make do.

n3lqk

Premium Subscriber
Moved back to Durango area this summer. Am medical director and pretty active with the SAR team here.

Question...

what is the minimum flash code to run a radio on the state DTRS?

Tim

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
what is the minimum flash code to run a radio on the state DTRS?

Tim

Welcome to Colorado!

Unfortunately I do not have any professional experience, so take my suggestions with a large grain of salt.

If you are planning on running a radio (transmit and receive) on DTRS, I would suggest reaching out to your local public safety partners or check with the SAR team to get on the system. You will probably need to be issued a radio from one of those agencies as Colorado's system is regulated on who exactly can use DTRS. I think that they likely will not authorize personal radios on the system, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask around and get formal advice on the matter.

If you are looking for a radio that would monitor only without affiliating to the system, then I would think you need something that handles 700/800 MHz with P25 Phase 1 (9600 Baud) trunking at the very minimum. I have no experience with this, so I do not have any other advice on this.

Of course the conventional suggestion is to get a scanner if your intentions are receive only. DTRS requires a FDMA (Phase 1) capable scanner.

n3lqk

Premium Subscriber
CCNC has a policy for personal owned radios. Gotta get signed off from participating agency. It occurred to me I could just service mode and get the flash from my county issued portable so I think ill just go with that. Thanks though.

eptreyg

Howdy from Estes Park! I spend time out here frequently at a family place. I'm finally getting some of my shack moved up here, so will be looking for EP, Larimer County, and NPS stuff to listen to. Merry Christmas and happy new year!

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Howdy from Estes Park! I spend time out here frequently at a family place. I'm finally getting some of my shack moved up here, so will be looking for EP, Larimer County, and NPS stuff to listen to. Merry Christmas and happy new year!

Some of those agencies are available on-line and EP also just became a Pulse Point community as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.