Colorado Springs PD encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

David628

Premium Subscriber
Looks like CSPD has encrypted. SDS200 is showing ENCRY on all PD TG's. Im still hearing CSFD, AMR and EPSO in the clear. Tried to upload a screenshot but I can't get the file size to reduce for some reason. Can anyone else in the springs also confirm this?

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
At the last legislative committee hearing that I attended, the chief said they would do this as soon as they could afford it.

As I have said many times, it’s easier to operate a government agency if you can conceal everything you do from the taxpayers. You can’t complain if everything is hidden, and you don’t know how badly they screwed up.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Wow! It happened so fast I didn't catch it. Confirming DE for CSPD.

Wondering is EPSO is holding off because they also provide dispatch for other agencies.

I do hear El Paso County DOT TG 4743 currently for snow removal ops.

Last edited:

David628

Premium Subscriber

Wondering is EPSO is holding off because they also provide dispatch for other agencies.

I don't have any further info on whether EPSO will follow suit. It truly caught me off guard also and as you attested to above they did it really fast and quiet. I didn't see anything in our local media prior to the flip over either. Currently EPSO Ch 1 and 3 are still in the clear. We also still have CSFD and AMR in the clear thankfully!

The database has updated by abqscan. Thanks @abqscan for updating this for us.

Thanks for the replies everyone now lets lock er up (this particular thread I mean :) . No further confirmations are needed at this time for this specific topic.

Cheers all!

manross

You know I never understood when they were talking about doing this, one of their arguments was they would be able to tell the officers important info about a call they were going to. What a crock, they already had that ability. They already was doing that by using the MDT's. I retired from CSPD on 2007. The Narc channels already had gone to encryption, no big lost there. We were exchanging info that dispatch didn't what to put it over the air at least a year before then. If you had a dispatcher that had high typing skills, they would have just about the whole call info already in the terminal. Don't forget that info on a call was already taken and input to the computers by the call takers. Just a total waste of money to encrypt when it wasn't necessary. Oh well I have other hobbies. My 3 cents worth.

David628

Premium Subscriber
You know I never understood when they were talking about doing this, one of their arguments was they would be able to tell the officers important info about a call they were going to. What a crock, they already had that ability. They already was doing that by using the MDT's. I retired from CSPD on 2007. The Narc channels already had gone to encryption, no big lost there. We were exchanging info that dispatch didn't what to put it over the air at least a year before then. If you had a dispatcher that had high typing skills, they would have just about the whole call info already in the terminal. Don't forget that info on a call was already taken and input to the computers by the call takers. Just a total waste of money to encrypt when it wasn't necessary. Oh well I have other hobbies. My 3 cents worth.

Makes sense what you're saying. I think CSFD is also using either MDT's or Tablets on the AT&T's first net. I often hear the FD dispatch air a one way transmission like "Engine "so and so" back in service" likely for the recorded record. See this post on 1st net: FirstNet - Colorado Springs Expands Public Safety Communications Capabilities with FirstNet

lilfixor

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if its even worth streaming anymore? Kinda sucks, we spent time and money and even bought more items to upgrade the feed for node 617. Was getting ready to upgrade from SDRTrunk to Trunk-Recorder for better audio quality (Oh man the difference is amazing). Not to mention a new raspberry pi 4 to run all this.
I've spent the last 3 days wondering why in the hell while programming the talk-groups showing my main channels were encrypted, and I'm just now finding out right here what is happening. This is nuts did not see this coming. kinda just pissed in my wheaties...... ;)
pi.jpg20210226_160601.jpg20210226_161228.jpg

Last edited:

David628

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if its even worth streaming anymore? Kinda sucks, we spent time and money and even bought more items to upgrade the feed for node 617. Was getting ready to upgrade from SDRTrunk to Trunk-Recorder for better audio quality (Oh man the difference is amazing). Not to mention a new raspberry pi 4 to run all this.
I've spent the last 3 days wondering why in the hell while programming the talk-groups showing my main channels were encrypted, and I'm just now finding out right here what is happening. This is nuts did not see this coming. kinda just pissed in my wheaties...... ;)
View attachment 99671

Yeah caught us all by surprise. Not a peep from our local media. You can run FIRE, AMR and County still.

Sidebar comment: Interestingly enough I had commented previously in another thread speculating that since the media never put up a stink about all this before it happened that they may have been provided radios to monitor CSPD in advance. Funny thing KKTV and KRDO news posted within 20 mins of each other a story of a barricaded suspect. I never heard Epso, EMS or Fire get that dispatch so how did they know? May be someone called it in? IDK but KKTV posted it at 3:10pm here: police-responding-to-barricaded-suspect and KRDO posted it at 3:32pm here: Police work to arrest barricaded suspect in east Colorado Springs - KRDO

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
David,

I think you hit it on the head. I work with 3 former EPSO Commanders in my current job. They agree that EPSO Dispatch remaining in the clear currently could very well be because they dispatch also for Fountain, Manitou, Monument, PPCC and UCCS.

I really don't miss the PD personally as I mainly monitor FIRE, AMR, EMS, etc. and CDOT, plus civilian and milair.

Thank you and Erik for keeping us on the loop.

Best,

Tim

lilfixor

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I could...... lol but the drive was with law. Honestly I've always enjoyed listening to what was going on out and about through out our city. What I don't understand is they have other encrypted channels, why not utilize them when needed, but still give the public a little snippet of what is going on. Not to mention they send most of the 411 through there MPC units or what ever you want to call them. What's so damn hard about changing a channel? Not just shut us out. I feel like the city just kicked us in our face and we kinda gotta just take it like a sad panda....

I did read a article about how they wanted to pass a bill to at least give news outlets radios. Not sure what the end result was but I could assume they would get something. If not I'm sure they could setup there very own calls platform just for them agencies to have access via internet. I'm sure that would be another way to only pick and choose what they send out for them to hear.....

manross

When we first went digital, they in fact sold any media (news,papers) radios so they could still get the scoop. They probably did the same thing this time. I think I'm going to start my own internet news channel and tell them I also should have a radio. As a matter of fact I think every person out there that use to listen to PD should become reporters for my news outlet. As my daddy use to say "There's more than one way to skin a cat". It just hit me now I hope he didn't say that from experience. 😕🤔

SGT_Piano

Premium Subscriber

EPSO knows that MOST scanner listeners do so for entertainment and to be in the know in case of anything impacts their daily life; i.e. Traffic accidents, APBs, BOLO reports, Amber Alerts, & approaching LE and 1st responder vehicles. I myself have aided LE twice since I got back N2 scanners. It's the criminals' abuse of the scanner that makes hard on the everyday person.

KD0MWG

Hello Everyone,
I just bought a new handheld scanner (BCD436HP) and discovered that CSPD had encrypted some time ago. I have been out of the loop for awhile, and recently got back into the hobby. I am really bummed. Enjoyed listening to this, but hey, still have EPSO.....for now.... I am new to the group. I look forward to visiting with everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.