Columbia County NY Adding Highband

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I don't have the freqs handy, but two of those pairs might be the Lebanon Valley Task Force repeaters. They have been on the air for a while.

D

DaveNF2G

What do you mean by "shared frequencies" and why would they have to be?

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Shared meaning someone else already spent 1000.00 or more on FCC license.....These are new frequencies,added to KEG594 mobile only.....

nozzlenut83

The Lebanon Valley Task Force freqs are licensed by the East Chatham Fire Company (Call Sign WPRY330) not by the county.

The newly licensed VHF High freqs are part of the Fire Radio system upgrade that will be taking place over the next couple of years. The Low Band system will be replaced.

Preliminary discussions include a Dispatch channel, a Response channel, 3 Command channels, 4 or 5 repeater Fireground channels, 1 or 2 Interior simplex channels, Interops channels, and Fire Police channels.

I realize there are only a couple of mobile only freqs at this point. Word is that the vendor is waiting for Moto to unveil a new line of radios this summer and the system will be built afterwards.

The upgrade plan includes County budgeted money for mobiles, portables, and pagers for each fire company based on a previously conducted inventory.

More is coming in the next few months.

nozzlenut83

wkredick

I had heard they were having issues finding clean new channels on VHF. I see these 2 new ones went through the Forestry Coordinators pool of channels. Tough area for new clean VHF channels.
It would be nice to sell the Fire Service there going VHF from lowband like Fulton County did years ago.
Will they also be looking at vhf paging in 150mhz band?

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Me thinks the main reason for lack of VHF Highband is people hoarding there outdated licenses...a lot of county's have left the VHF high area and haven't turned in there licenses...maybe because there keeping for backup or just forgot to modify them to show they have abandoned them

Spec

Me thinks the main reason for lack of VHF Highband is people hoarding there outdated licenses...a lot of county's have left the VHF high area and haven't turned in there licenses...maybe because there keeping for backup or just forgot to modify them to show they have abandoned them

OR maybe they just aren't giving them up because once you do you are now in the same position Columbia is in in ;)

Spec

Has anyone ever become curious as to how may VHF-Hi frequencies NYC has and no longer uses ;) Many of those have a 125 mile exclusive use on them.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Actually NYC is SUPPOSED to vacant all channels they have below 470 as part of the deal with the FCC when they got the entire TV ch16. Don't know if that still holds true due to the screw up by Congress taking them back in 2020. BTW NYC was still licensing new VHF channels for the Courts as of 2009.

uvfd67

Initially the Columbia system was intended to be analog, conventional. But we'll have to see what the vendors sell them on..

It will probably be some kind of digital encrypted job when the vendor is done with them. You'll be able to talk to Beijing, Moscow, and the space station but Ancram won't be able to talk to Copake.

skip392

skip392

I can't see Columbia county ever going trunked or digital. There is not a lot of traffic on there county frequencies.turn on the scanner to 154.025, 155.430 or 46.500 on not a lot going on.

nozzlenut83

MURS

Related to the future upgrade of the Columbia County Fire Radio System there has been an increase in the use of MURS frequencies and other business frequencies on a temporary basis. Many fire companies have been putting off radio purchases until the county's plan was finalized and now many departments have to make replacements of failing Low Band equipment until the new system and equipment is purchased and installed. Some departments have chosen to purchase VHF-High radio that will be compatible with the new system and are using MURS or unlicensed business frequencies on a temporary basis. For example the Claverack Task Force (Claverack Fire, Churchtown Fire, Mellenville Fire, Philmont Fire, West Ghent Fire) have started using the following plan:

F-1 - 151.8200 (PL229.1)
F-2 - 151.8800 (PL229.1)
F-3 - 151.9400 (PL229.1)
F-4 - 154.5700 (PL229.1)
F-5 - 154.6000 (PL229.1)
F-6 - 151.6250 (PL229.1)

I understand why it is being done, but I'm not so sure that using public shared frequencies for emergency operations is the best idea. Although Columbia County is fairly quiet radio wise, the MURS freqs, especially 154.5700 is quite busy during business hours. PLs prevent you from hearing other users, but they don't stop interference and stepping on each other.

Anyway, this is happening in other departments too. Something to be on the look out for if you seem to be missing something. check out MURS and other places in the VHF-High spectrum.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Actually NYC is SUPPOSED to vacant all channels they have below 470 as part of the deal with the FCC when they got the entire TV ch16. Don't know if that still holds true due to the screw up by Congress taking them back in 2020. BTW NYC was still licensing new VHF channels for the Courts as of 2009.

New York City does NOT license for the court system. The State does.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Interesting choice.....since anybody can buy a radio with these in it...and of course there only in portables....

F-1 - 151.8200 (PL229.1)
F-2 - 151.8800 (PL229.1)
F-3 - 151.9400 (PL229.1)
F-4 - 154.5700 (PL229.1)
F-5 - 154.6000 (PL229.1)
F-6 - 151.6250 (PL229.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.