Columbia Police Dept & Richland County Sheriff's Dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you have a digital scanner if you do you should be able to hear them unless they have all of a sudden went encrypted as of a couple of weeks ago they wasnt i could hear both as i passed through there

scannernutt

do you have a digital scanner if you do you should be able to hear them unless they have all of a sudden went encrypted as of a couple of weeks ago they wasnt i could hear both as i passed through there.

When I am at work down town I hear them fine. When I come home I can't hear them. Can you recommend a better antenna? Thanks

possiable that you might need one what area of columbia do you live that could make a difference also if you live over near harrbison you might need to program the harrbison tower in

vinzep491

You should have crystal clear reception around ft jackson where you said you live. Richland simulcast will beyour closest, but program in harbison and the lexington simulcast too.

What scanner are you using They are on digital

evan

Database Admin
make sure you are listening to the Richland simulcast site and not Lexington as most Richland County talkgroups are not carried on the Lexington site. Your scanner may be locking on to the Lexington site as one of the towers is located in downtown Columbia.

vinzep491

the fire dept isnt digital theyre still analoge and cpd isnt encrypted on any of their talkgroups that i know of

I have heard enc utilized by a select few individual radios, almost always on a tac channel. It is rare tho and never with routine ops. Swat channel is now enc 100 percent of the tthe time as well.

The comm center may even use one of richland county's enc tgs to dispatch a sensitive call to officers when tthey know a subject is scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.