Columbus Fire Going to Automated Dispatching

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmartinfan

Banned
Not sure if this was ever talked about, but sometime in the short term CFD will be using an automated computer voice dispatching program. The terminals and software are in at the contractor.

Dont ask question, I have no idea how it works, nor the exact date it will start.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Not sure if this was ever talked about, but sometime in the short term CFD will be using an automated computer voice dispatching program. The terminals and software are in at the contractor.

Dont ask question, I have no idea how it works, nor the exact date it will start.

Runs will be broadcast over "10 FIRE" and the fire station PA by the automatic system, based on what is entered in CAD by the call taker. That's what little I can tell you from what I know about the system in question...

Time will tell as to the efficacy of this thing.

n8myc

Not gonna work in my opinion! It's one thing to dispatch low priority stuff over an MDT to an officer but to dispatch a fire run by computer!. If a responder has a question about the run or something else that has to be addressed does he then have to switch to another channel to get the answer or will there be someone on the channel with the computer? Too much money being spent on things we don't need. I don't get it. I can't wait till this gets tanked.

n8myc

Ok, I read the press release and maybe I just don't get it. Isn't this the same procedure from call taker to dispatcher? I guess I hate it when someone loses his job to automation? Bye bye dispatcher

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Ok, I read the press release and maybe I just don't get it. Isn't this the same procedure from call taker to dispatcher? I guess I hate it when someone loses his job to automation? Bye bye dispatcher

No one is losing a job. The kicker is this:

"The dispatching portion of the CADVoice(R) system automatically creates and sends a clear, accent-neutral dispatch announcement about a fire or medical emergency to designated fire rescue and emergency medical stations and/or rescue units in the field."

The entry still has to be reviewed before it's sent. I believe the real point is "clear, accent-neutral dispatch announcement"... I suspect the opinion at CFD is that there's too many people who say things too many different ways that it gets confusing, especially at 0300 when you've been jolted out of a sound sleep...

Even so, I still wonder how well this thing is going to work out.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Something similar, but a bit more sophisticated, to the NOAA weather severe weather alert broadcasts.

There will always have to be a human sitting at the console. Too many decisions that a computer can't make just yet. The on scene unit requests additional assistance and they are not near their terminal to type it in. There is another unit closer than the initially dispatched unit.

If this frees up the dispatcher to focus on other issues with a dispatch, then maybe it is a good thing.

jds911

I am waiting with an open mind. If the system works as advertised and allows for simultaneous station alerting of multiple runs, while cueing the radio broadcasts saving time, I am optimistic. Maybe when we call for a single engine or ladder to respond from Columbus for one of our runs, they will get out the door faster instead of the run holding until the other runs waiting to be aired on 10FIRE get aried first.

KWs

Premium Subscriber
As we listen our our high tech scanners, to a high tech trunking systems,
we are naysaying the next techno leap to automated dispatching .. kind of, does not go together :)

At least it's not encrypted or a system that is not monitorable !

n8myc

Oh yeah... that's going to get old REAL quick....

I soooooooo agree with you!

Maybe next will be an automated 911 call center.
For FIRE press 1
For Police press 2
For medical emergency press 3
You have pressed 3, if that is correct press, the pound sign

wdz

Feed Provider
I soooooooo agree with you!

Maybe next will be an automated 911 call center.
For FIRE press 1
For Police press 2
For medical emergency press 3
You have pressed 3, if that is correct press, the pound sign

How true, it's probably on the way. Or worse yet... out sourcing to India.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
How true, it's probably on the way. Or worse yet... out sourcing to India.

And the headlines would then be:

"Man dies because frantic wife could not understand 911 operator in India"

DualReverse

Premium Subscriber
I am waiting with an open mind. If the system works as advertised and allows for simultaneous station alerting of multiple runs, while cueing the radio broadcasts saving time, I am optimistic. Maybe when we call for a single engine or ladder to respond from Columbus for one of our runs, they will get out the door faster instead of the run holding until the other runs waiting to be aired on 10FIRE get aried first.

Brother,

I think you know in your heart of hearts that Locution will not prioritize runs, the organization will. And the computer is only as fast and accurate as the data it is given to use (by humans). I am not optimistic, and I think they are not addressing the more significant issue. I'll leave it at that.

DualReverse

Premium Subscriber
No one is losing a job. The kicker is this:

"The dispatching portion of the CADVoice(R) system automatically creates and sends a clear, accent-neutral dispatch announcement about a fire or medical emergency to designated fire rescue and emergency medical stations and/or rescue units in the field."

The entry still has to be reviewed before it's sent. I believe the real point is "clear, accent-neutral dispatch announcement"... I suspect the opinion at CFD is that there's too many people who say things too many different ways that it gets confusing, especially at 0300 when you've been jolted out of a sound sleep...

Even so, I still wonder how well this thing is going to work out.

I'd be interested to know who (calltaker, 10Fire, etc) has to review before its sent out. What if two calltakers are taking calls for the same apparatus to different locales? I just visited a major metropolitan FAO where Locution is in place, and the CALLTAKER gets to pick the assignment.

I, for one, believe that the human voice and its inflections are part of fire dispatching. A lot can be determined by the speed, intonation, and inflection of a human voice alarm dispatcher.

Bannockburn Blvd, anyone?

GOLDEN, Colo. — Locution Systems, Inc., a provider of advanced, automated public safety dispatching, zoned dispatching, and fire station alerting and control technology, today announced that it has been commissioned to provide CADVoice(R), its automated dispatching and fire station alerting system, to the city of Columbus, Ohio. Locution Systems' automated dispatching and fire station alerting technologies will be installed in 50 fire stations in the city of Columbus.

50 stations? Hrm.

Last edited:

jds911

Brother,

I think you know in your heart of hearts that Locution will not prioritize runs, the organization will. And the computer is only as fast and accurate as the data it is given to use (by humans). I am not optimistic, and I think they are not addressing the more significant issue. I'll leave it at that.

What? I can't be hopeful? Are you saying past performance acutally predicts future behavior?

Say it isn't so indy!

The intent of the product is to help with that very situation, so I guess I can always HOPE that is the reason they bought it and that is what they are going to do with it....

DualReverse said:
I, for one, believe that the human voice and its inflections are part of fire dispatching. A lot can be determined by the speed, intonation, and inflection of a human voice alarm dispatcher.
Can I get an amen from the congregation! Right on the money.

Last edited:

mmartinfan

Banned
AMEN...........................

Medic 27 on a illlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll person.......................

When I'm not on F/G it will be fun to listen.

DualReverse

Premium Subscriber
AMEN...........................

Medic 27 on a illlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll person.......................

When I'm not on F/G it will be fun to listen.

I think its a litter deeper than that. This could fundamentally change the way we all do business in this area. Calltakers take hints given by callers using tone, volume, speed and intonation to varying degrees all the time. Its no different when the call goes out over the air...

rcvmo

You can't sue, charge, or fire a computer for negligence, neither do you have to worry about arbitration.
rcvmo

Status
Not open for further replies.