Columbus Fire/Police Feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscott02

Good afternoon all.

The computer I was using to host the Columbus Fire & EMS feed and the CPD Zones 1-5 feed has died. I have no desire to replace the computer as my financial priorities lie elsewhere. If anyone is interested in providing a new Columbus Fire feed, contact follow the links on the live audio page to set up a feed.

It was a good run while it lasted. Thanks to all who listened.

--Jim

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am sure all who listened very much appreciated the time,effort and dedication this took. I hope they all chime in here. I know doing these types of things can be very time consuming and are often thankless.

I will say "thank you" on behalf of all who enjoyed it.

If I were in COL I would take you up on the opportunity to give it a shot. Unfortuneately, I am not.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Thanks

Good afternoon all.

The computer I was using to host the Columbus Fire & EMS feed and the CPD Zones 1-5 feed has died. I have no desire to replace the computer as my financial priorities lie elsewhere. If anyone is interested in providing a new Columbus Fire feed, contact follow the links on the live audio page to set up a feed.

It was a good run while it lasted. Thanks to all who listened.

--Jim

Thanks Jim. Back in '04 I moved near a cell tower and 800 reception was next to impossible. Your feeds were all I had, at home, while recovering from a heart attack. Always moving my 396T around the house trying to receive something, I finally discovered RR. Thanks again. :D

tk000

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
From a long time listener, first time poster, thank you for your time and effort in providing these feeds.

For anyone interested, I'm venturing into the provider realm myself and working to put together a new one-stop shop audio feed for Columbus / Franklin Co Fire & EMS. Stay tuned...

dicchicora

The Columbus Fire and EMS feed has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Sorry to hear about things crashing. Here's hoping that someone is able to resurrect the feed. Maybe the person running the Franklin County feeds can add Cols. to their feeds... Love the RR site! Thanks to all who run feeds!

KWs

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear you had to shut down the feed .. you did a fine job.
Going to miss that Locution Dispatch voice .. hopefully a new feed for Fire & EMS only is up soon.
Again .. thanks for the feed these past years !

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Columbus PD Feed Discontinued Again

The Columbus Police Feed has been discontinued again due to hardware problems.
It would be nice to find four people to provide a feed for each zone instead of having all five on one feed. (There is already a feed for Zone 2) Makes it much easier to listen to and more selective.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
I'm already providing one feed...is there any way to provide two feeds from a single computer without doing the left/right stereo thing? If so, I may look for a cheap used scanner or see if I can find someone to donate a used scanner to provide a CPD feed.

bge1234

I'm already providing one feed...is there any way to provide two feeds from a single computer without doing the left/right stereo thing? If so, I may look for a cheap used scanner or see if I can find someone to donate a used scanner to provide a CPD feed.

You can find cheap USB sound cards on eBay which actually work pretty well, all things considered. You put it in your USB port and it's recognized as a second sound card. Then you just start up another copy of the broadcast software et le voilà.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
You can find cheap USB sound cards on eBay which actually work pretty well, all things considered. You put it in your USB port and it's recognized as a second sound card. Then you just start up another copy of the broadcast software et le voilà.

Hmmm....I have an old Dazzle 150 video/audio capture device that I haven't used in years, do you think it would be capable of doing the same thing?

bge1234

Hmmm....I have an old Dazzle 150 video/audio capture device that I haven't used in years, do you think it would be capable of doing the same thing?

I'm not familiar with this product, but from How do I Hook Up Dazzle 150? | eHow.com, it sounds like this is more an interface between a video player, such as a VCR or DVD player, and computer than a sound card. It MAY work depending on the software you use to broadcast to RR, but I would not think it likely.

BTW, when I say "cheap" USB sound cards, I mean 99 cents including shipping.

tblade69

I Can help

If you want to continue-i have had years of enjoyment from your feed and want to give back. I have an extra Router and computer that you can use if thats the primary reason you are not broadcasting. Send me me a private message.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
BTW, when I say "cheap" USB sound cards, I mean 99 cents including shipping.

Well that seems cheap enough to try at least! Now the question is, does anyone have a spare scanner they'd be willing to either donate or sell pretty cheap to get a CPD feed online? If so, please PM me. I'll be happy to return it if this setup doesn't work or if I have to discontinue the feed for some reason. I just don't have enough spare cash to get another scanner right now.

Last edited:

jmsbmck

I'll be applying to broadcast CPD Zone 1 in a few hours.

Does anyone know if 1A, 1B, etc are considered tactical by RadioReference? Although listed in the wiki as Tactical, I've never heard them used as such - they are more for when the topic/conversation style isn't appropriate for the main air. It's as if the Tactical label in the Wiki should be removed.

Anyone have any thoughts?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'll be applying to broadcast CPD Zone 1 in a few hours.

Does anyone know if 1A, 1B, etc are considered tactical by RadioReference? Although listed in the wiki as Tactical, I've never heard them used as such - they are more for when the topic/conversation style isn't appropriate for the main air. It's as if the Tactical label in the Wiki should be removed.

Anyone have any thoughts?

You're right, they're only "tactical" if declared to be so by the incident commander or OIC. However, that alone may be enough to keep them classified as tactical.

I'd have to get a ruling on it from the powers that be. Stand by.

bge1234

Since there's already feeds for zones 2 and 5 and soon will be for 1, I could add 4 to my OSU feed since it's the area around OSU anyway. Then we would just need someone to run zone 3 and everything would be covered. Does anyone have an opinion on whether that would be a good idea or just add too much traffic to the OSU feed?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Since there's already feeds for zones 2 and 5 and soon will be for 1, I could add 4 to my OSU feed since it's the area around OSU anyway. Then we would just need someone to run zone 3 and everything would be covered. Does anyone have an opinion on whether that would be a good idea or just add too much traffic to the OSU feed?

Personally, I think it would be best to keep the OSU feed separate, since it's awfully handy to monitor on game days; most operations (other than of a support nature) are on the OSU system and anything that happens would be heard there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.