Columbus Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
Why does Columbus Fire have so many talkgroups? I am confused on what to program. what should I listen to for when they are on route.

Why does Columbus Fire have so many talkgroups? I am confused on what to program. what should I listen to for when they are on route
It can't hurt to program them all.

You'll only hear the ones that are active and you can decide whether you want to lock any out. Right?

AJorge1219

EMS responds on 9EMS1, Fire units respond on the appropriate Battalion Channel IC, then operate on the fire ground. There are some other channels such as 9Extrication and 9 POL-FIRE. So sort of what was said above - can't hurt to program them all. Also, keep in mind a lot of data is transmitted electronically, so you may not hear all of the different status changes, en route, on scene, etc.

wdz

Feed Provider
I think the answer is, because they can. @AJorge1219 is correct though that they only use a handful of them. I'd consider 10 Fire, 9 Ems1, 9 Extrication, BN1FG-BN7FG, and 10 Alpha. It's very rare they use any of the battalion tac channels.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I think the answer is, because they can. @AJorge1219 is correct though that they only use a handful of them. I'd consider 10 Fire, 9 Ems1, 9 Extrication, BN1FG-BN7FG, and 10 Alpha. It's very rare they use any of the battalion tac channels.

Probably ought to add the BNxIC (incident command) talkgroups as well. Responding units and command talking to the FAO are there; actual firefighting (the good stuff) is on the BNxFG talkgroups.

"Because they can" is pretty much right on the money. Take a look at the Cincinnati FD talkgroup layout; you'll notice many similarities, primarily because the previous Cincinnati FD chief came from Columbus (he was Battalion Chief in charge of the CFD FAO when they went to 800 MHz back in the early 90s and created the basic template they use to this day).

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
usually, I have noticed the Battalion Fireground and IC are sometimes patched, my Home system (Orange County Fire) has a bunch as well, its always better to have overcapacity than under capacity, trunked systems make it easy to do
also, keep in mind a bunch of talkgroups programmed in a scanner does not affect performance the scanner doesn't really scan all of those,

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
usually, I have noticed the Battalion Fireground and IC are sometimes patched

Don't think I've ever heard Columbus FD patch the fireground and incident command talkgroups. The reason for the creation of the IC talkgroups in the first place was safety; there was too much chatter on Fireground when the first-due companies were crawling into a burning building. This way the chatter and initial staging are on IC, while the firefighting is on FG.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Don't think I've ever heard Columbus FD patch the fireground and incident command talkgroups. The reason for the creation of the IC talkgroups in the first place was safety; there was too much chatter on Fireground when the first-due companies were crawling into a burning building. This way the chatter and initial staging are on IC, while the firefighting is on FG.
ok my bad I heard them do it once, listening to that fire in Battalion 5 right now and they are not patching sorry

Dq12gz

Is it possible to get the 9ems and 10 alpha channel?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Was looking through that. Unfortunately wasnt able to locate anything more . Is it named something else ?

All of the known Columbus FD talkgroups are there, listed under Columbus Fire, in the Ohio MARCS database. Try doing a CTRL+F find and look for ALPHA or EMS1 or EMS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.