Columbus, GA, Encryption??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Columbus, GA, may be going encrypted. This not from official releases but rather from attendees of the meeting where departments heads were told they would have to adjust their budgets.

Motorola, in their infinite wisdom, has told city officials they will no long support the radios they sold to the city 3 or 4 years ago and the radios will have to be changed. I believe they spent $9 million at that time. The city has indicated they will likely encrypt the radios because Motorola offered it at no cost, City officials didn't indicate there was any other reason to encrypt.

Motorola only informed the city of their money-grabbing actions this week and the meeting of department heads was held this morning (3/27) to hear the news.

Last edited:

N2AL

Columbus, GA, may be going encrypted. This not from official releases but rather from attendees of the meeting where departments heads were told they would have to adjust their budgets.

Motorola, in their infinite wisdom, has told city officials they will no long support the radios they sold to the city 3 or 4 years ago and the radios will have to be changed. I believe they spent $9 million at that time. The city has indicated they will likely encrypt the radios because Motorola offered it at no cost, City officials didn't indicate there was any other reason to encrypt.

Motorola only informed the city of their money-grabbing actions this week and the meeting of department heads was held this morning (3/27) to hear the news.

To paraphrase a Motorola representative I once met: “Motorola sells radios, not updates to software or existing equipment.”

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
To paraphrase a Motorola representative I once met: “Motorola sells radios, not updates to software or existing equipment.”

My "informant" said the Motorola rep was leaving to go to Atlanta to discuss the same thing with them.

N2AL

Motorola has had a hold on this city government for over 50 years. :(

Sounds a bit like Knoxville. If I recall correctly the government scrapped the radio communications bid because Motorola did not win it. Then Motorola bought a couple of board members and surprise... Motorola won the new bid. Politics at its worst.

I’ll see if I can find this article and I will post it.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Sounds a bit like Knoxville. If I recall correctly the government scrapped the radio communications bid because Motorola did not win it. Then Motorola bought a couple of board members and surprise... Motorola won the new bid. Politics at its worst.

I’ll see if I can find this article and I will post it.

Yeah, I wanna read it.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
I'm afraid that encryption is going to spread all over Georgia like a zombie disease. Pretty soon our hobby will be a thing of the past. I hate Motorola.

N2AL

I'm afraid that encryption is going to spread all over Georgia like a zombie disease. Pretty soon our hobby will be a thing of the past. I hate Motorola.

I’m a fan of encryption due in part to keeping confidential information confidential. That’s what getting onto another talk group is for. But I just don’t like the business practices of Motorola and how they railroad governments and public safety entities.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
I’m a fan of encryption due in part to keeping confidential information confidential. That’s what getting onto another talk group is for. But I just don’t like the business practices of Motorola and how they railroad governments and public safety entities.

I to am a fan of encryption for ambulance to hospital traffic and surveillance and drug related traffic. Dispatch and everyday chit-chat NO.

KAPcsg

Have you ever heard anything else on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.