Columbus (GA) Public Safety Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auburn36801

Premium Subscriber
>I believe Columbus georgia police and fire has now removed the encryption I believe.

What has happened that makes you believe that the encryption is gone?
Perhaps there is something the rest of are missing.
It sure would be nice if this is true.
Please reply back and let us know what you found that lead you to that conclusion.

In the US constitution, it says that there is a freedom of Press. On this website Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press
it says that freedom of press applies to all type of broadcast materials including radios and scanners.

chaycock

We are not asking about the legalities, we are asking what prompted you to make the statement that you believe the encryption has been shut off? In other words, what evidence do you have of that? Did you hear an unencrypted communication from CPD or CFD?

Freedom of the press guarantees the right of the press to print without being censored or retaliated against by the government. It has nothing to do with the right of the government or any other entity to encrypt their communications.

>it says that freedom of press applies to all type of broadcast materials including radios and scanners.

I doubt that when the constitution was written, they had scanners and radios....just saying....

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I staying out of the "freedom" argument. If you polled 50 people about it, there would be 60 opinions. Let's just say what they're doing is legal and there's nothing you can do about it. If you think it's wrong, it's a Constitutional issue so take it up with the U.S. Supreme Court.

Anyway, there was quite a bit of unencrypted traffic in the Columbus-Muscogee County public safety talk groups this morning. It was the Metra parking enforcement. Downtown parking is handled by Metra Transit and they apparently have a channel in the CSU police group. The only dedicated parking "enforcers" are Metra for the downtown area. (Metra is the public bus system and why the powers-that-be saddled them with that is beyond me but that's for another thread.) Anyway, there are many different facets of CSU in the downtown area including music and art schools, public performance facilities and housing. They even own the convenience store downtown. There are more campus police in the downtown area than city police for that reason. If calling for help, a campus police officer could probably respond quicker. CSU police talk group transmissions are not encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.